LA lancer, whats a good diff upgrade? sigma?.?.?

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
slimer

LA lancer, whats a good diff upgrade? sigma?.?.?

Post by slimer »

Got my old LA lancer back, had to drive over 1000k's to pick it up but well worth it, 13BT with full engineers papers..happy as, problem is its still got the same diff from factory.
I was thinking of using a sigma diff (same stud pattern, from same family, has discs and came out stock with a 2.6) som i thought it would hold up to the 220rwhp it will be producing.

Only thing i dont know is how wide they are from end to end (im running the flares so i got some room for error.

Does anyone know or has anyone upgraded their diff without paying an arma and a leg?

ill be posting pics us as i progress with it..
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
DanTurboLancer

Re: LA lancer, whats a good diff upgrade? sigma?.?.?

Post by DanTurboLancer »

hey man, Sigma diff is about 60mm wider.

I ran FWD offset wheels, so the 30mm either side was ok with the wheel offset, but then i ran a 30.. spacer/adaptor plate for the fronts.

It works all ok, but it depends on how hard you are going to drive it, and if you have a 13B turbo in there, im guessing its not for your Mum to drive to church in.

The Sigma is an upgrade from the Lancer, but the axles still arent that strong.

In my 4 door with the 2.0LT, with the factory centre welded i blew the axle, so then i put in the Sigma diff welded centre and same result.
Both sheared the axle at the spline leading into the centre.

If you have the flares on, and the suspension isnt too low, you might get away with normal wheel offset, but then you have really wide rear wheel width, and small front.

Save up and spend the money if you dont have a feather foot.
slimer

Post by slimer »

thanks mate, i dont have a heavy foot all the time but would like to not have to worry about blowing it if i do decide to put my foot into it.

i would have thought the 2.6 sigma diff would cope...i remember when i had this car going with the stock center i twisted axles by just putting my foot down at 3,000rpm and letting it rev to 6,000 or 7,000.

was also thinking of using a series 3 Rx7 diff (they are the same stud pattern as the lancer also) but not sure how many splines those axles have either, but i know they hold up with 13bt's in rx7's to some extent.

your 2ltr turbo musyt have had some kick in it to do the axles i reckon..
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

I dont know how wide a scorpion diff is compared to a sigma (presumably the same if not very similar) but its definitely the way to go for strength and ease of fitting.

The next step up from a scorpion diff is cutom fitting a huge 4wd diff or Ford 9" from a V8. (though I hear an old 2nd hand 9" isnt that much stronger than a scorpion anyway)

Cheers,
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Sideshow

Post by Sideshow »

10 bolt scorp diff, they are a little bit wider, but if you are running flares you wont notice. much stronger than the crappy borg warner diffs in sigmas.
Insert Philosophical Self Awareness Statement Here

'74 LA 2Dr Lancer (The Racer)
'05 SSZ Ute (The Street/Tow Car)

Its hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.
slimer

Post by slimer »

How much wider are they to the lancers, do you know?

i know where i can get a scorpion diff cheap but its in a car thats not been moved for over 6yrs...lol
Sideshow

Post by Sideshow »

100-150mm i think not 100% sure. but with flares they fit nicely. someone here will have the specs on them.
Insert Philosophical Self Awareness Statement Here

'74 LA 2Dr Lancer (The Racer)
'05 SSZ Ute (The Street/Tow Car)

Its hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hey guys has anyone got a Pigma axle and a Lancer axle handy to do a Comparison?

Just found 2 of my old items, and im pretty sure that the one on the right was the Stock Lancer.
And the one on Left was the Sigma Axle spline....

I have the feeling that although the main part of the shaft is slightly thicker, the actual spline is the same???

Not very clear, but if they are the different makes, then same diameter, same spline length etc...
So if you problem is shearing and twisting axles....

slimer

Post by slimer »

ouch...totally broken off hey?

converting a LA diff to sigma...lol...theres no point...only that the diffs are more available then the lancers...not worth the efforts.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

I'll check and post some pics tomorrow..

Cheers.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

What is it with you and axles Dan? I pulled the axles out of that diff I got off you on the weekend. One of them was good, the other had a slight twist near the end of the spline like the 2 broken ones you are holding. :D
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Scorpion diff is same width as sigma, good ratio choices, light and strong, but f..k all lsd options. I had a mega-dollar detriot locker made for mine.

I would put and early hilux in it, for piece of mind....and there's lots of bits available for them. Full floaters, spools, ratio's down to 5.7:1, etc.......

P.S. post some pics up of the conversion. We're about to drop a PP into one.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

BIG DIFFEFENCE.

The axle on the right is out of a GJ Scorp (10 bolt diff).
The axle on the left is out of a GH Scorp (8 bolt Diff).

Cheers.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

C_Fernance wrote:What is it with you and axles Dan? I pulled the axles out of that diff I got off you on the weekend. One of them was good, the other had a slight twist near the end of the spline like the 2 broken ones you are holding. :D

Oh wow Sorry about that Chris!!

Well there you go, and that was just an open wheeler and i only had it in the car for afew weeks running...

Does anyone have a stock Sigma one to measure the spline Diameter?
And anyone else have a stock LA to do a comparison?

Cheers Superscan!
woops

Post by woops »

Standard sigma spline diameter i just measured at 25mm
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I'm positive the diff I got off Dan is an 8 bolt diff out of a GE Scorp. Axles and splines, and even center appear the same as the GD Galant sedan diff i have, however the axles are approx 20mm longer each side, and the wheel bearings have a bigger outside diameter than the galant bearings. They look the same as the axle on the left in the pic above.

GD Galant sedan spline diameter = 24mm, bearing outer diameter = 62mm, length from mounting face to end of axle = 660mm

GE Scorp spline diameter = 24mm, bearing outer diameter = 72mm, length from mounting face to end of axle = 680mm

The 10 bolt diffs also came out in the GH Scorp. Only the GE Scorpions had the 8 bolt diff.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

GJ Scorp (10 Bolt) spline Diameter (OD) = 27.3mm

Cheers.
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

what about a l lancer? We got firearrows here stateside with a g54b. I'm curious how strong this diff is, if it is even any different than the normal 4g32 version.

I too am looking for a diff upgrade and thats about all I have access too at the moment. I'm doing a 4g62b sohc tbi turbo swap from a cordia. with a 14b
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero