picked up a stronger diff, need info on it.

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
slimer

picked up a stronger diff, need info on it.

Post by slimer »

Managed to pick up a diff from a GJ Sigma thats been in a lancer (1400mm) from face where wheel meets the disc to the other side. so its about 30mm longer each side.
This would be ok if i was running stock wheel but im not.
Does anyone know if the axles are able to be cut down and pushed in more are these axles the ones where they taper up for the splines?
i havent had time or energy to pull it out of the back of the van or pull the axle out to look.
Thought some guru might know.

ill post this in the sigma lounge too.

Any help would be great...cheers
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
lancerdarryl

Re: picked up a stronger diff, need info on it.

Post by lancerdarryl »

Not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve,making the track narrower I think?.Making the axles shorter isn't the answer.....you can't move them in because of where the axle bearing sits on the axle.
scooterdave

Re: picked up a stronger diff, need info on it.

Post by scooterdave »

Slimer, I have fitted a TA Celica diff to my LB sedan which is about 50mm wider than standard. I didnt cut it down. The Lancer's do perform/track much better with a wider track at the back. i.e. They wont let go as quick and turn around on you in a max oversteer situation. What you will have to do is have the diff locating points altered so they algin with your springs and shocks. Also you will need to cut the inner guard and outguard then knock it up and reweld it. This will then allow for your wheel travel to go up and down without hitting the guard. Once done you'll have to cover up the mess with some nice panel work or some bolt on flares.

There is of course a heap of other things you can do at this stage in setting your diff up to get the car handling better. Such as tiping it forward and looking at a different spring and shockie set up to stop the tramping.

David
PM or call me if you want to have a look at mine.
0433 740007