Engine swap tips please...

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
vjval360

Engine swap tips please...

Post by vjval360 »

I have a LB lancer Hatch with the stock 4G32B engine. Just had a look at an 84 Cordia , RWD with a turbo 5 spd motor. Guy reckons it is a 4g63 , is a single cam head, apparently had full rebuild a few years back , did 1000km and the dizzy melted.
It is a belt drive motor and looks similar to the 32 but just wondering how much modifying and where is required for fitment. WIll the 5 speed fit up ok, tailshaft etc? It is the ECI motor so what wiring issues may I have, return lines to tank, fuel pumps etc.
Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Engine swap tips please...

Post by Scorpma82 »

Ahhhhhhh ull have to do some research for the definite answer but I think if u get the engine mounts from an L300 with the same block (wide or narrow)...... Then alot of the work is done
Built with pride, Driven in anger
vjval360

Post by vjval360 »

Thanks, I assume being injected would have to modify tank etc. The new fitech set ups for 4BBl manifolds have a tank that has a built in high pressure pump, return line etc, i mounts in the bay and is fed by the stock mech pump and lines. That would work I assume ?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just get an inline EFI fuel pump out of something like an old subie and you wont need to modify tank.
vjval360

Post by vjval360 »

Not sure what to do, he wants 1500 for the complete car, has 17" white racing wheels with ok tyres, heaps of good parts, tach, guages etc, good glass , panels ? Unsure what any of that stuff is worth to Cordia people. I only really want the engine and box out of it. Not really in a place where I can strip a car at the moment.
Anyone have any more info on what else may be needed, found a few that say it is a bolt in job, but cant find info on crossmembers or tailshafts ?

Thanks in advance
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

How is it a bolt in upgrade?
Cordias are fwd....unless it's an important of some kind or ur actually got ur eye on a starion.....if it's the latter, then getting the car and stripping it will be viable as they have more useful parts than just an engine/gearbox
Built with pride, Driven in anger
vjval360

Post by vjval360 »

Sorry, just saw that. I wrote Cordia , meant Starion ......
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This may help you with some info.
Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades

Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS)

The motor shouldn't be a big issue to fit, as Scorpma82 there may or may not be issues with engine mounts?
There are multiple 5 speeds (wide, narrow, short and long), need to look at stick location and if it's wide or narrow block, I'm not sure what length stick location the Starions use.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
vjval360

Post by vjval360 »

Thanks guys, starting to become a bit clearer. According to that info the Starion box is a Wide one. Will it go in the LB/LC tunnel without too much modifying? Cross member/ Tailshaft etc?

Cheers
simon

Post by simon »

If the tunnel is the same as an la lancer it should fit
You should be able to use your crossmember , I don't know if the starion gearbox mount will fit the lancer crossmember
( I used a modified one out of an l200 or something similar )
The starion will be hydraulic clutch
I'm not sure about the tail shaft, it may have been modified sigma tail shaft I used, ( I started with a sigma B/W diff then went to a scorpion diff )
If you get the whole car you get a lot of useable bits

Simon