Upgrading Brake /Drive chain system

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
fengqiu

Upgrading Brake /Drive chain system

Post by fengqiu »

Hi all, So I've got a lb lancer and looking to upgrade the brake and drive chain system.
Saw a nifty 82 sigma wagon getting parted out online RWD.
Is the diff in there stronger than mine? more importantly , will it fit up? because I was thinking about just getting the whole thing (including brakes etc).
Also will it's front struts/ disc/calipers and brakes be stronger than mine as well?

Regards

Adam
75wagon
Admin

Re: Upgrading Brake /Drive chain system

Post by 75wagon »

The diff housing from a Sigma will not fit into a Lancer diff housing (Lancer is 8 bolt, Sigma is 10 bolt).
The whole diff housing itself wont bolt it without shortening and removing the old mounting brackets and fitting Lancer ones. If you're going to that much trouble Nissan Skyline R31 diff housing would be the go. You can get LSD's for them, and they have disk brakes, but retain 114.3 x 4 stud pattern.

82 model Sigma would be a GJ wouldn't it (first of the slant nose fronts)?
For Struts, you need them from a GH (80 to 81 model). They have the same lower knuckle (3 bolt unlike the GJ onwards that have 2 bolt), and all you have to do then is change the strut top over to the Lancer Strut top and they are a straight bolt in.

Have a read through some of these topics. They may interest you.
Ultimate Topic Directory

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
angussouth

Post by angussouth »

Hey, i don't know if ill get a reply but i was also upgrading/changing my rear drive train. meaning brakes diff all that, i have a 1976 Chrysler lancer LA and i don't really have much knowledge of things that will fit as this is my first real car build. i wanted to know what sort or rear disc brakes and LSD diff would fit without much trouble, i plan to turn it into a rally/race car
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I believe the EX Lancers were able to be fitted up with very little trouble....but they are rare to find and expensive to buy
Built with pride, Driven in anger
stealth

Post by stealth »

There is a factory 8 bolt lsd center , thay are rare 'ish and come up for sale now and then
Thats the good news , will cost you about a grand
Lancer ex's were a 10 bolt and dont fit La's without shorting and all new mounts !
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !