4G52 in '77 Lancer

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Jailjubic

4G52 in '77 Lancer

Post by Jailjubic »

I'm planning on putting my mate's 4G52 into my Lancer. Got a few questions;

Does the 4G52's 5speed fit in the Lancer?
Will the mount points need any customization?
Will I need to customize the tailshaft?

Also, the 4G52 is currently in pieces due to new pistons and balance shaft removal and I've never assembled an engine before, where might I find a comprehensive text to guide me with its assembly?
C_Fernance

Re: 4G52 in '77 Lancer

Post by C_Fernance »

If the 5 speed you have came out of a Sigma there may be some differences in the position of the shifter but it should still fit with some trimming around the shifter hole in the tunnel. If you don't want to do this then the engine should bolt up to your current gearbox, either manual or auto.

As for the engine mounts you can use the standard metal brackets that come bolted onto an Astron, with the Sigma rubber mount as well.

As for the tailshaft I believe the 4 and 5 speed KM132 boxes are the same length so no issues there. However some KM132's have a larger input/output shaft (usually found behind 2.6's or later model Sigmas). Not sure about the Borg-Warner box, but I'm pretty sure it is different in the size of the shaft and length.

As for assembly instructions I've rebuilt quite a few of them with nothing more then a Gregories manual to guide me. There are usually plenty for sale on ebay around the $10 mark.
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Well I have a 5 speed from a 1979 Lancer so if that one fits on the 4G52 that would be awesome. So maybe I'll use that one, especially since I have already cut the carpet for the shifter.

So you're saying the box from the 1979 Lancer will fit on the 4G52 and if I do that, I can bring the Lancer's tail shaft along with it?
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Lancer box will bolt on fine. Use a Sigma flywheel and a 2.0 clutch kit to suit the KM132 box. The Lancer tail shaft should be perfect.
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Thanks a lot! That's good news for me.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

This may also need the scorpion header pipe to work?
Jailjubic

Post by Jailjubic »

Actually I am also curious about that. I am looking into extractors atm. Will I experience problems fitting extractors made for a scorpion into the lancer and then attaching exhaust made for lancer to those? Anyone have such experience? I will be going to Fat Pipes at Kallangur to have them done in ceramic probably.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Sigma 2.0 extractors didn't fit my Lancer..the cheapest/easiest way out was a scorpion header pipe.Still flys.. even extractorless!