LB Lancer - Biting the Bullet

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
CaptainTrips

LB Lancer - Biting the Bullet

Post by CaptainTrips »

Some of this stuff has been recycled from my intro post almost 2 years ago... She has been sitting around for ages, but the thought of starting something and not finishing it (story of my life!) was too much, so I decided to bite the bullet with a partial restoration (I hope partial!). These little cars are too cute to scrap.

Lancer belonged to my ex-girlfriend, and it is now my LB Lancer (though when I speak to her, I call it her LB Lancer). Unmolested 4G33 that runs like a dream. Guy who had it before me had 'done it up', which basically means removing the choke, lowering the hell out of it, tinting the windows, putting a sony explode sound system in an sticking a tin can on the exhaust. Well... the tint can stay. Still got the original number plates too, don't see too many X's around anymore; last thing will be to get some brand new plates with the original number. Apart from steering (tie rod ends, ball joints etc), she's in remarkably good nick. Figure I'll keep everything stock - like these classic cars are great just the way they are.

So far she's got:
-a rebuilt carby (awesome old boy in Osbourne Park, recommended if anyone's in Perth. There's another guy in Cannington that did the quadrajet on my VK, but he 'had to leave town in a hurry' apparently :z )
-new battery, new wiring incl indicator relays
-suspension just lower than stock (I will never understand why people put blocks on their leaf springs, gah)
-central locking
-new carpet

When I first posted 2 years ago I planned on the following:
-full doors closed respray in factory
-get speakers hooked up to stock radio (it still works, I love it!)
-retrim in the bits that need it (still looks pretty good)
-rechromed trim where applicable

Hmmm, we shall see huh? Retrim and rechroming might be a bit pricey. Anyway, this is what I had to work with:

Rust!!!

Yuk :(

The Little Engine that Could

And a couple more after sanding and bogging in prep for painting (and after working on the steering). Note: lights and bumper attached for some dodgy driving after a new exhaust was fitted:

Thankfully I've had the exhaust done, and I'm going to ditch the marinas for some 13" cheviots:

Would love any tips/advice/suggestions from members. Such amazing looking little cars, even in it's bogan spec state we would get looks - even in Mt Lawley. I'm planning on leaving the country for work, and this and my other project (VK Calais 308) will have to go to fund it, but it will be nice going knowing I've finished them, and that they will hopefully go to good homes.

She's currently at the painters - getting a good deal on panel beating/rust repair/respray so fingers crossed - gotta wait another 2 weeks!! Stay tuned!! :)
75wagon
Admin

Re: LB Lancer - Biting the Bullet

Post by 75wagon »

Glad to hear you're sticking with it.
Make sure you post some pics up after it's painted.

BTW, what sort of tips were you after?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers