LB Lancer...To Restore or Not To Restore

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
CaptainTrips

LB Lancer...To Restore or Not To Restore

Post by CaptainTrips »

I’d really appreciate people’s advice on what I should do with my white 4 door LB Lancer (4G63)… I started it as a project to sell, but I’m starting to rethink… I’ve got new parts for a steering rebuild, it’s had the suspension done, a reconned carby, new carpet and new exhaust. Engine runs great.

I’ve stripped it and sanded it ready for a respray, and it’ll also need a bit of rust work. I’ve been quoted ~$3000 for the respray. After that, I was going to get a set of alloys and sell her off.

Question is… is it worth it? The money I've spent already's been spent, it's more what I'll get back from her form here on in. If I sold her as a project, what sort of price could I be looking at compared to selling it when it’s done? They are rare as hell over here and she got lots of looks, even when she was looking a lot worse for wear. It’s so hard to say with nothing to compare it to – all you need is one person who had one when they were younger and you’re set. She is registered, so no need to go over pits.

I’m sure a lot of people have been down this path, so figure I’d take advice now rather than learning from my mistakes later.

Thanks in advance, keen to hear your thoughts!
geezer101

Re: LB Lancer...To Restore or Not To Restore

Post by geezer101 »

There's no price tag you can put on enjoyment - but you can always find a guy full of regret for giving up on something that gave them just that. Yeah, project cars are expensive pets and you will never get back what you've put into one (you might break even if you find the right buyer...) These kinds of questions always pop up on sigma-galant about "how much is it worth?" and the answer is always purely subjective - whatever someone will pay for it. If you've already prepped the body for painting you don't have anything to lose by having a go at spraying it yourself, and you can always find a nice set of shoes for it and refurbish them yourself too if they look a bit shabby. :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It sounds to me that it's about money not the car. For that reason I say sell it.
I don't think you will be happy if you spend money on it.

As far as I am concerned, if anyone is trying to make money, or do things on the cheap to save money working on an old car, then old cars are not what they should be playing with.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I think this could be the simplest answer that can be given to be this topic....

If you WANT to AND CAN restore the car....restore it.

If not, find someone who is willing to do so
Built with pride, Driven in anger
SIR

Post by SIR »

If you are in it for the money, sell it and buy a datsun, old mitsubishis never get good money.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

75wagon wrote:It sounds to me that it's about money not the car. For that reason I say sell it.
I don't think you will be happy if you spend money on it.

As far as I am concerned, if anyone is trying to make money, or do things on the cheap to save money working on an old car, then old cars are not what they should be playing with.

Dave...
This 1000000% also its very hard to get money back on a modified car. whenever your building a car you might budget for one thing but don't be surprised by the unexpected costs.
lancerboy

Post by lancerboy »

Hi There,

Please sell it to me.... I have a 74 four door I'm tryn to restore and am finding it way too difficult to source engine parts and panels etc... I will pay top $$$ for yours or any lancer. I'm in brisbane and just returned from Adelaide sourcing parts.... Please help...
lancerboy

Post by lancerboy »

Hi There,

I'm currently looking to purchase a lancer, and will pay top $$ for the right one, work in progress or restored or in need of restoration. If your interested in selling, pls contact me on 0412 309 310,

Cheers,

Bob
CaptainTrips

Post by CaptainTrips »

Made my decision, I'm keeping her (but I'll see what Lancerboy's offering first)... I figure when I finally get around to selling (and that may be a while, I do like driving her) a few laps around Subi/Freo/Mt Lawley with a For Sale sticker will be enough :) So hard to find reference points though, they're rare as over here.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

My advice, from previous experiences, would be to cut your losses and sell it as -is. Even at this stage it will still consume more hard earned dollars then you could ever even come close to recovering. Let alone make money on it.
It will be sad seeing it dissapear up the road on the back of some other guys car trailer...but you will get over it in about 30 seconds...trust me.
davenq

Post by davenq »

My 2c ,
If you like it ,keep it ,
I did up a GB a couple of years ago and used it ,then sold it for about a third of what it owed me,..that's life.
I currently have an LC hatch, what I have collected and have for the car , is about what I am asking. I don't buy/build them for the money ,I do it for the fun.3g for panel and paint seems really reasonable,but don't expect it to add 3g to the selling price.
Again just my 2c
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional