commodore shock inserts in lancer hatch

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
jasonlblancer

commodore shock inserts in lancer hatch

Post by jasonlblancer »

People tell me do commodore front shock inserts fit my lb lancer hatch strutts. i know people upgrade to sigma strutts for bigger brakes and use of commodore shocks. the thing is im going to be running custom brakes for one so sigma strutt not needed and secondly i believe my lancer strutt being 51mm od will be big enough to house a vb koni shock which is 44mm od. Then the only real benifit of a sigma strut is bigger wheel bearings and stub axle. correct?
BIG26L

Re: commodore shock inserts in lancer hatch

Post by BIG26L »

Yes correct, The Lancer stub axles is considerably smaller than the sigma stub axle and gives major trouble once you start adding more weight (bigger engines, turbo chargers, etc....), big wheels & race tyres. I would recommend against using the lancer struts and go with the sigma strut assemblies axles for safety sake.

A trip into a tyre barrier, a wall or the trees with a broken stub axles is not pretty. I seen a number people end up in hospital ( as recently as 2 weekends ago) because of a broken stub axles.

Commodore inserts will go into the sigma struts as well. There is a thread somewhere on the forum here with all the details you need in it.
jasonlblancer

Re: commodore shock inserts in lancer hatch

Post by jasonlblancer »

Thanks for the advice. I'm still considering using lancer struts as I can make a sleeve that sits between the inner and outer bearing effectively strengthening the stub axle. There no smaller than my ae86 stub axles.