VR4 into LC lancer?

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
79_lancer

VR4 into LC lancer?

Post by 79_lancer »

Hi, just curious if anyone has done the vr4 conversion in an LC lancer. I know there are plenty of people who have done/ are doing this in galants and la lancers and stuff. Just curious if there would be any differences with the LC or weather it would basically be the same process...... Thinking about options for later projects is all :) all feedback and opinions are welcome!
Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
digihed

Re: VR4 into LC lancer?

Post by digihed »

I saw one back in the '90's when I was putting the 4G63 twin cam into my LC and it all certainly fit in the engine bay. The guy was racing it in SA, up against various Porsches etc and doing very well. I resisted to turbo motor mainly because the crazy power to weight ratio in a car with almost no weight over the rear axle wasn't sounding like a safe combo on wet roads... and the non turbo fitment doubled the rear wheel horsepower over the original anyhow. But it will fit! And go like a peppered cat.
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

Cool, thanks for the info! It's waiting in line after my other cars, but just looking at options. If I do go ahead with it, I will definitely be going twin cam turbo. Only thing worrying me is getting it engineered, but the car will be getting the full treatment. I'm thinking mini tubs for reasonably fat wheels on the back to help with traction lol. Lots if custom work.....( I want to put it on a rotisserie).
It will be a fair way off yet, due to needing a decent garage/ workshop which I'm in the process of planning now.

One other thing, is it better to use an engine, say, from an evo 3 config? Due to the gearbox being on the drivers side in that model as opposed to the later evo's where it's is on the passenger side? Point being, once converted, the exhaust/ inlet could be on either side of engine bay..... Was thinking along the lines of keeping exhaust on drivers side cos that's where the 4g32 exhaust runs? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave

ryzor

Post by ryzor »

One other thing, is it better to use an engine, say, from an evo 3 config?
I have yet to see a lancer with a later model 4g63t. Only setups I've seen use the evo 3 or earlier. Your best bet would be to look for a 6 bolt vr4 4g63t, as these have the stronger bottom ends and don't suffer from the crank walk.
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

Yeah an evo 3 engine is what ive been leaning towards. So the 6 bolt vr4 is the one that will bolt up to a jap 5speed?
Cheers,
Dave

BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

In the EVO4 onward they turned the engine and gearbox around 180 degrees in the engine bay compared to the EVO123. I also believe that the EVO4 onwards 4G63's don't have the RWD engine mounts on either side of the block, which is why you don't see them being used in RWD applications.
ryzor

Post by ryzor »

I think the earlier evo 4g63ts will bolt up to rwd jap boxes. Vr4 engines are stronger and usually cheaper than the evo ones (That's why I went with one). All you need is rwd engine mounts from any pre 1990 4g63 mitsubishis and the engine should plop right in
DriveBy

Post by DriveBy »

Stronger ?? How so?
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

Bigger rods in motor, I believe.. I was told/read the same...reason I got one too.. also 6 bolt crank.?.
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

There are now people doing evo 4 up rwd too, google it...seen a few since I started mine.( 5 years ago)
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

GLANT wrote:There are now people doing evo 4 up rwd too, google it...seen a few since I started mine.( 5 years ago)
I can see some advantages of using the Evo 4 + engines - one of which is setting up rack and pinion steering. Having the exhaust running down the right side of the block interferes with having a steering connecting rod mating up to a steering rack from the steering column. But does the block have provisions for reconfiguring the engine mounts to a RWD application? And as our cars are right hand drive, how close does the EFI plenum get to the brake master cylinder? :think:
Paul4carz

Post by Paul4carz »

Sorry for digging up old threads but does anyone have any pictures of this set up?