EFI prep work

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
lance

EFI prep work

Post by lance »

Not to shore were to post this but just a few questions... Doing some pre EFI prep work . l would like to do as much of the work as l can before the Satin comes out . things like high pressure fuel pump . can l install one inline now but leve the fuse out ( l don't think l need a surge tank )
Moving the battery to the drivers side, what's a good tray mode to use ? Thermo fan and possibly a radiator. And what else ??
Doing it this way may help in down tine in the transplant
lance

Re: EFI prep work

Post by lance »

I've decided to use a small surge tank that fits up near the rear shackle and tank , behind the bumper.
Can anybody see a problem with that ? as far as safety
lance

Post by lance »

Seen from the back you can just see it
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I can't see a problem with the surge tank being tucked up under there as long as you don't take a big hit from behind (and it's secured properly). The facet pump is going to drive you and everyone else bananas if it isn't mounted on rubber dampers. My main concern is the fuel pick up hose right next to the swing shackle. There should be a few places you can redirect the fuel line as to avoid any issues with it being damaged in the future.
lance

Post by lance »

The lift pump l can mount on the other side of the tank ( diff side) along with the main pump and maybe filter..
Will mount the lift pump like you say on rubber.
With the lift pump on the side of the surge tank like in the photo below.I am not happy with the places it would fit, too the point that l would prefer not to have one .Image
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Make sure the lift pump is mounted up the correct way..ie:with the feet at the bottom.I went through a couple of lift pumps until i realised this.Instead of mounting the lift pump (upside down) to the body...I cut a piece of 90x90mm RHS and mounted the pump inside it ,then mounted the rhs to the body.much better.
lance

Post by lance »

Thank for the tip would have mounted it upside down.
lance

Post by lance »

Well it turns out that l have only 2 lines not 3 going to the tank from the engine compartment.
One fuel and the other to the carbon canister .
To run EFI l need one more.
There are other lines going in and out near the filler neck but they would be for the vapour return.
The question is do l to make another opening into the tank or is there another way ?
Were do purchase solid fuel line ?
AND the tank is strapped up under the car with 2 bands . Between the body and the tank there looks
to be some rubber insulator .
What l want to do is use a slightly thicker insulator maybe 5-10 mm thicker so that l can get more clearance
between the body and tank. This so l can run my fuel lines over the top of the tank to the surge tank .
Can any body see a problem with that ?
Thanks Mark
lance

Post by lance »

Running some 1/4 inch fuel line to the front for return fuel . Mounted the main fuel pump and the fuel line today , lift pump tomorrow.
lance

Post by lance »

Just some more pics
GE 2LTR Radiator tried and just bolts in
Thermo fan fitted
Battery tray relocated
Surge tank , lift pump and main pump fitted . Car still running mechanical pump.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Nice work with setting up your return line and surge tank. :thumpsup: Was the return line a replacement or an add on?
lance

Post by lance »

The return line was an add on . There was however prevision for it to run to the front along side the fuel line.
The return line empties into the fuel filler hose line.
lance

Post by lance »

ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Hehe..that is the dodgiest lift pump bracket i seen in a while..Hopefully it is strong enough not to break as i think it may flex a bit.You got the right idea though.
lance

Post by lance »

Wouldn't say it looks a work of art but it is proper angle bracket ( 2 together to form a C ) .
On the outer edge it will safely hold up to 10 kg and at 16 kg and it starts to droop .
Could have used box but all l had was 65mm left over from my diff mounts that l made .
The other trouble is real box would not have fitted in the position .
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

ozdusterdave wrote:Hehe..that is the dodgiest lift pump bracket i seen in a while..Hopefully it is strong enough not to break as i think it may flex a bit.You got the right idea though.
It 'should' (?) be o.k. as long as the bracket doesn't have to support the pump and the fuel lines. If the fuel lines are secured firmly and close to either side of the pump the hoses won't get too much of a chance to bounce up and down - that will cause the bracket to snap in no time... I'd still make it out of something thicker myself as I've seen those corner brackets and they look pretty lightweight.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

I should have just said it looks like dogshit.") :P
Suggest A small peice of 90x90 RHS.. way stronger,and even looks quite pro.
lance

Post by lance »

All noted about the lift pump bracket.

Well the engine is now running , took some time.
It had a loom that came with the manifold but it looked well worn. After trying that loom l decided it would be best to make up a new one .
After some trial and error she fired up running strait out the extractors and no radiator.
Mated the extractors to the original exhaust witch is about 1 1/2 inch that quietened it down to hear the loud tappets .
Replaced the lifters with new ones and added a radiator and good oil .
Started her up again only to hear the lifters were even louder. ( I did prime them )
It sat idling for over 20 minute's . Was thinking the worst but started to notice the noise was slowly disappearing .
She also was idling a little rough .
Then couldn't get her into gear . Rocked her back and forward with my foot on the clutch. The clutch plate must have been stuck on the fly wheel, felt it pop off. After the first drive she settled down to a nice even idle
All that aside how did it drive..
You can feel the extra weight over the front wheels and the floor is a little warm with the extractors on a 41c day.
Even with the restricted exhaust there is a large power gain and worth the effort .
lance

Post by lance »

Every body loves ImageImage862/media/059.jpg.html]Image[/URL]ImageImage