Alternator wiring in la lancer

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
TRV28
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Alternator wiring in la lancer

Post by TRV28 »

I have fitted a tn magna engine into my la lancer and all is complete except the alternator wiring is giving me trouble, I have used the magna alternator which is a Bosch style with regulator mounted on the rear of the alternator, I have removed the external reg from the lancer alternator setup (box which is mounted on right shock tower) and run single wire from yellow/black trace to the light wire on magna alternator, this is the same as how my other lancer appears to be wired, for some reason the light on the dash won't go out ,I believe it isn't charging but can't be sure as multimeter stopped working this arvo, has anyone else fitted a Bosch internal reg alternator to an early Mitsubishi with the external regulator alternator being original equipment? And if so, how did they wire it up?
1974 la lancer, 1993 gq patrol ute, 1971 Chevelle Malibu.
GB_BB4C

Re: Alternator wiring in la lancer

Post by GB_BB4C »

there is a second wire coming out of the plug on the alt regulator that needs power going to it (blue and white wires from memory). this "turns on" the alternator like a switch when power is applied to make the circuit for charging.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

TRV28
Location: deep in the mists of boost, far beyond the thick cloud of tyre smoke

Re: Alternator wiring in la lancer

Post by TRV28 »

The blue wire was wired straight to power when it was in the magna so I have put it straight back onto power in the lancer, the white wire has been run to the yellow wire in the lancer's reg plug, this is the only wire in the loom that triggers the light, when this where is disconnected there is no light so I get the impression this circuit is working fine, the alternator was working fine in the previous car, I was always under the impression that the light wire triggers the fields in the Bosch internal reg alternators? This wiring has been copied straight off the other lancer I have and it all works sweet, also some other guys on this site have confirmed this is correct, I will try to get another multimeter so I can test circuit and test if I have charge, I will also try to trigger alternator manually to see if it is operating correctly.
1974 la lancer, 1993 gq patrol ute, 1971 Chevelle Malibu.