LA spotted on Wiki & Google Earth

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
A57C

LA spotted on Wiki & Google Earth

Post by A57C »

dnvgalant

Re: LA spotted on Wiki & Google Earth

Post by dnvgalant »

How does this get on wikipedia? do google put it on there?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...George Orwell saw it coming. But don't worry, everything will be just fine - unless you're already on the national broadband network. Then it's too late. Big Brother is now watching you :z
camB

Post by camB »

In a similar vein...

Friend put me on to this one. Check out the google maps street view of 11 Dale Avenue, Eltham North, Victoria

Poor thing.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Streetview of my place shows my old Sigma in the driveway. Its been off the road for a few years now. Pics must be around 2-3 years old. Can spot the convertible and galant wagon out the back as well.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

A57C wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1974- ... dan_01.jpg

welcome to no privacy ala google
Not that i welcome this sort of technology...but given the car's condition...its either a project car or scrap....because of google maps....the car has a better chance to be saved
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Scorpma82 wrote: Not that i welcome this sort of technology...but given the car's condition...its either a project car or scrap....because of google maps....the car has a better chance to be saved
This is an invasion of privacy. If the guy wants to sell or is restoring, they'd be doing something about it. Otherwise this leaves them open to a flood of insolicited enquiries or worse, their 'project in the pipe line' being hauled onto a trailer in the middle of the night never to be seen again. If the owner has posted it somewhere (facebook, a forum, etc...) then they've left an open invitation by their own choice. Google maps is a useful site, but there are supposed to be protocols in place to prevent anyone seeing anything that could pose a risk to the location being viewed.
A57C

Post by A57C »

^ agree with geezer, but i wonder if we're just being geezers?

seriously, we're dealing with wikigeeks here who devote all their free time to wikishittya and thrive in the no-privacy realm
they see absolutely nothign wrong with giving coordinates out. never would occur to them that somebody would mind
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A57C wrote:^ agree with geezer, but i wonder if we're just being geezers?

seriously, we're dealing with wikigeeks here who devote all their free time to wikishittya and thrive in the no-privacy realm
they see absolutely nothign wrong with giving coordinates out. never would occur to them that somebody would mind
Our backyards are being spied on by the local government and the bored (but exceptionally paranoid) geeks at the Pentagon. Whatever they find will either end up with you getting a fine for unauthorised building additions or a visit from a bunch of guys wearing black business suits. But whatever they find (or don't find) doesn't normally end up on wikigeeks. Freedom of information is fantastic - til it's them on the receiving end of a gross violation of privacy...
ddt

Post by ddt »

Where's the fire, guys? That LA lancer pic has been volunteered by it's author 'OSX' for free use on wikipedia. the full resolution is like 4000x3000 resolution which means he took it with his own camera -it's probably his own car. And if it's not, who cares? It's sitting in a front yard where anyone could drive past and see it there for themselves. I don't see a privacy violation even if there are GPS coordinates saying where the pic was taken.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...meh. If that's the case, bury the debate. But, there is a difference from driving past someone's yard and it's location being made available to a couple o' miwyun (gotta love how Eddie Maguire can earn it but can't say it) people. Unless they live on a VERY busy street :| If the owner has posted it, they've done so at their own peril.
A57C

Post by A57C »

see some people don't mind this sort of thing at all. the generation that grew up without privacy and didn't know what was lost?

on another forum a cruiser spotted a car and posted a thread simply to shout out his spot and give the coordinates on google map
i think i was the only one who threw a red flag ..
A112H

Post by A112H »

I also found LA on google earth

A57C

Post by A57C »