lc lancer seat rails.. some help please

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
lockie94ralliart

lc lancer seat rails.. some help please

Post by lockie94ralliart »

i have a lc lancer and need to make up some rails for my issotta seats it is pretty tricky. If some1 has modifeied the rails before... can you give me an idea what is involved to making the new rails. cheers guys
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: lc lancer seat rails.. some help please

Post by oldn64 »

Everytime I have put aftermarket or different seats into a car i have used the rails from teh car it is going into and then an adaptor plate to bolt to the seat. Never had a issue with rego and always used high tensile bolts. I have Cordia GSR seats in my Galant and they are on the original Galant rails, all I did with that was drill two extra holes in the rails to bolt directly to the GSR seat. I was lucky with these as the rails in the cordia are the same width, it was just the length was wrong so it is possible to use the original holes sometimes. Do some measuring and look at what is required. Other thing to note is that the rails need to be parallel in the car other wise they will not bolt up correctly nor slide nicely for the seat positioning.

Have a play and see how you go.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

My seats came with L brackets off the sides and i got my original seat mounts, welded a piece of 6mm steel bar across them and then drilled new holes in the bar to suit where the holes lined up on the seats L bracket.
But im going to be modifying mine again because they are too high....im going to drop them to about an inch or two above the floor.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The Recaros I have fitted to my Galant wagon have the same distance between the runners as the standard Galant seats. I just re-drilled the runners to match the Recaro bolt up pattern (which have 3 bolts per runner instead of 2).
I also removed all the nylon spacers and have achieved a seating position that I am very happy with. My shoulder sits about the same height as the base of the window/ top of the door trim.
The down side is, I have lost a lot of rear leg room.
A few pics for you.

Here's the seats

This gives you some kind of idea of the height they sit in the car.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
lockie94ralliart

thanks every1 but my isoota's have the holes for the rails and the rail holes on the car are way wider. i might leave the old 1ns on and just wld a bit of steel goin across the rail for the seat to sit on. cheers any answere about my idea?
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

As soon as you weld there will be need for engineering. If you bolt then you will have a reuseble setup and no engineering. I would plate it and then bolt to the plate. Make sure all corners ar shamfered and no sharp edges, stress relieve the holes with rounding edges to help as well. (use rat tail file).

All in all good luck. ;)

Cheers

PS: Dave those look like EVO 3 seats. Comfortable as, you will have had an easy job for those seeing you can remove the lower swabs easily and just have the frame, but some of teh aftermarket seats and other factory seats arent so easy.... :thumpsup:
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

totally agree with Olden64
Keep your factory seats incase you ever need to refit them for Rego.

Adding plates will raise the height of the seat slightly,
But it is a much better option than cutting and welding...

Hitensile bolts as Olden said,
And use flat washers either side, and a spring washer.
And a Nyloc nut if you really want to make sure it won't come loose.
lockie94ralliart

cheers ever1 could you upload some pictures for me of your rails would be greatly appreciated. cheers