LC Lancer "Dream Build Q's"

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Belial

LC Lancer "Dream Build Q's"

Post by Belial »

Hi All,

Wasn't to sure where to put these questions, so hopefully most people click the "view active topics" tab each time they visit...

Anywho, while building Mini Mopar, I've been looking at many different options to alter the car.

It will end up looking like a VH R/T Charger externally but I'm completely undecided about everything else!

So, what engines have people successfully fitted to these cars?
Pros and cons to the conversions (I'm very keen on following the yanks and throwing a V8 in the engine bay but not sure how the boy's in Blue would see it!)

What suspension changes have people successfully under gone?
Don't forget the brakes!

Transmission and diff??

Etc....

Let's just say you have a few years to build and had decent financial backing.

NB: I just sold a almost 500hp Aussie Muscle car and now want Mini Mopar to somewhat fill the void!
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: LC Lancer "Dream Build Q's"

Post by Scorpma82 »

run the 4G32 and twin sidedraught webers and dress the engine bay like the E49 Chargers of the day

As far as gearboxes go, im pretty sure the sigms/scorpion/l200 5 speeds have been fitted in various formats

diffs......Scorpion rear end with a Starion LSD (3.55:1) has been a popular fit.

Suspension, alot of people use Sigma 'green' struts and upgrade the brakes with Falcon componentry (Hoppers Stoppers do build a good bolt up kit of these...despite the cost that alot of people seem to complain about

Quite frankly, as much as 500HP is fun....if you need 500HP to have 'fun', then your building the wrong type of car im sorry (its a great car...dont get me wrong...just the wrong theme)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
lance

Post by lance »

You would have seen Dave Darts build in builds called Teaser. Its my favourite for a mini muscle .
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

There's lots of very good reasons why it would be ur favourite build on this forum.....it is a beautifully built car and was thought out and executed perfectly.....anyone who thinks otherwise have rocks in their head.....

My argument was that u don't need a 500hp V8 to make a car fun
Belial

Post by Belial »

I don't really expect to throw a 500hp engine into a LC, I'm just saying the big 4 door Falcon I just sold was a little shy of 500 hp.

I just want to drive it around with a bit of power on tap when need be. (My daily drive FPV FG GS, is stupid enough as it is with the mods it has)

I just don't know where to start engine wise and without doing it twice.

ie: Don't want to go down the side draft carbs path with the 4g32 if it's still somewhat lazy. Alternatively, don't want to change over to a bigger engine like a 4g54 if that's not worth the pain vs the simple manifold and cab swap on a 4g32?!?!

I really know stuff all about these engines, am uncertain what to do and what to expect.

Not sold on an EFI engine BUT if something has a lot of drive ability and ain't to complicated, I'd consider it.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

You could go the route of custom hilborn injection......THAT would be cool!!!!!

You could consider the 2L out of the starion/L300 van
They use a SOHC 4G63, usually in carby form....more powerful than the '32, more lighter than the '54, and they marry up to the appropriate gearboxes without custom bellhousings or anything like that

Plus, with the SOHC head, they run twin Siamese exhaust ports....so (in theory), u can run a pair of collectors on the ports to give it that V-twin burble to it.

Plus all the usual refinements, cams, carbs, porting, polishing, blueprinting, balancing etc etc........
That would give you 150hp at the flywheel......certainly not a powerhouse, but would be enough to leave the commuting traffic behind you.....and do it with quite a bit of drivability.
stealth

Post by stealth »

This is what fills the void for me
If 500 is fun
What is over 1000hp at the wheels
No lancer can fill that void !
My daily has over 500 but like your ford wieghs heaps ,so thats when the camaro comes out
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Belial

Post by Belial »

....is it worth investing in the 4g32?
Electronic ignition, side draft carbs and some pipes?
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

60.3hp at the wheels in an LA Lancer.
Plenty of power if you build car right.

https://www.facebook.com/fly.michaelhes ... 7235000835
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
davenq

Post by davenq »

Like buttons are really hard to come by....lol....saw davedarts ,..lwancer in the flesh...was fing awesome ,...and the "old skool blokes didnt |get it|////this thing is an awesomely engineeered .......sweet as car.....
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
Belial

Post by Belial »

Haven't got much feed back regarding electronic ignition....
What is the common way to convert? Some other Mitsubishi dizzy or the Pertronix Ignitior II ?
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

In my opinion - it's got to be a 340 small block.
Some w5 or Dart alloy heads, a nice little roller cam and multi point electronic injection.
A nice Torqueflite auto (not too much stall) or 5 speed gbox.
A decent Chrysler LSD diff with 3.5 gears ..... sounds like HEAVEN !!

Exactly what was planned for my car in 1991 ..... didn't eventuate and ended up with my unusual combo of Nissan SR20.

Not sure if Mr Chrysler has an alloy crate engine that would make the project a little easier (just drop it in)

Otherwise something turbo'd from the Mitsubishi family!

Lindsay
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

2L or 2.4L DOHC 4pot from the Neon
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Stop F*&^%$g around........... 6.4lt & gearbox out of a 300C SRT!

If your going to chop the firewall and tunnel up, you may as well use the newest stuff available!
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

i dropped a 4g63 in mine. 100hp atw more than enough in a light car on the streets. If you want more yo can always go turbo
Taz

Post by Taz »

I'm in the process of putting a turbo twin cam 4g64 in mine. Tuner expects 500hp with my budget and gear but we will see what happens. The difference is though mine is a purpose built clubman special car.
I can get you a cheap NA sohc 4g64. Little bit bigger than the 63 for the extra torque and would be enough for a daily with the option of running up to 500+ if the turbo bug bites...