1980 Scorp advice + pics

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
KiNGXAVY

1980 Scorp advice + pics

Post by KiNGXAVY »

I have a few questions about the car.

Are there any quick fixes/mods to get a little more power out of this beast? (Engine is a 4G54)
I am also after a Power Steering belt, but I am unsure on what the part could be. I had a look around on the net the number (13A0750) as a part number seems to be the one. I just wanted to confirm that.
I read that the coin box beneath the radio is NOT Scorpion specific, would that mean I could obtain one from a Sigma or similar model and it would fit?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.

**EDIT** Added some pics to this post.
Last edited by KiNGXAVY on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
geezer101

Re: 1980 Scorp advice

Post by geezer101 »

Hi KiNGXAVY, what condition is the scorpion in? A good tune up is a start, putting a kit through the carby will help return the engine to better performance. After that, it's standard stuff - headers and sports exhaust, head work, fuel delivery upgrade (bigger carby, EFI mod or have a look at something different like modded quad bike carbies - http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=7524 ). Elimination of the balance shafts are also popular with Astron engines. Other option is sourcing a turbo engine like the VR4 for an engine install. It begins with what you can do and what the $$$ allow for. Use the search engine to get ideas on what you want out of it - http://www.sigma-galant.com/search.php
Good luck and post pics for us! :thumpsup:
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Cheers geezer.

Its in fairly good condition, a bit hard to start in the morning but that's about it.

The body is quite straight for its age, I'm in the middle of painting the vinyl strip near the rear windscreen because there was rust underneath.

I've heard a Weber 34ADM bolts straight onto the engine, would this be right?

Thanks in advance
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It's not a straight bolt in but only requires an adapter to mount it onto a stock manifold (easy to do) -
It however will require sorting out of fuel and vacuum lines, accelerator cable mounting and deletion of a coolant circulation line to get it running. If you're competent with a spanner it's not out of your scope to set it up. 8-)
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Cool, thanks mate!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have one of those adaptor plates if your interested? $15 plus post.
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

KiNGXAVY wrote:I have a few questions about the car.

Are there any quick fixes/mods to get a little more power out of this beast? (Engine is a 4G54)
I am also after a Power Steering belt, but I am unsure on what the part could be. I had a look around on the net the number (13A0750) as a part number seems to be the one. I just wanted to confirm that.
I read that the coin box beneath the radio is NOT Scorpion specific, would that mean I could obtain one from a Sigma or similar model and it would fit?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.
Welcome to the site KiNGXAVY as mentioned above larger carby exhaust general tune and getting the engine in good working order will help with performance.
The power steering belt if you remove the belt and take it to your local repco or similar store they should be able to match one up for you.
It's four and a half hammers across!!!
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

A112H wrote:I have one of those adaptor plates if your interested? $15 plus post.
Thanks alot! I am interested, but I'm going to wait until I have the actual carb.
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Cheers foxpsi.

When I purchased the car, it didn't come with one attached, but I have ordered one online which should hopefully work.

And if it doesn't fit, I can just sell it :P
A112H

Post by A112H »

Run a length of string around the pulleys and you will get a measurement. Take this to your local auot pasrts shop with a tape measure and away you go.
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Thanks again A112H.

I will have to give it a try on the weekend.
tubby

Post by tubby »

neither of the belts the auto shop supplied me were wrong (alt and air con) so double check
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Got mine from supercheap auto. You'll be surprised where you find them if you look.
KiNGXAVY

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Thanks for all the info guys.

You wouldn't happen to know where the belt goes would you? :$
tubby

Post by tubby »

...............................on the pulley
tubby

Post by tubby »

but seriously power steering only came out as an option as far as I am aware on the GH scorps, the power steering unit should be on the drivers side of the engine below your exhaust to the front of the engine. pics of your bay will help you will probably need to take off the other belts to access it, where I have seen them they run off the main crank pulley. where abouts are you? Sigma manuals will have the details on how to change the belt because the engines are almost identical.
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

You wouldn't happen to know where the belt goes would you? :$[/quote]

Look for a smaller pulley (closer to the timing cover) behind the one with the waterpump/alternator belt.
If not one there, have to source one.
KiNGXAVY

Re: 1980 Scorp advice + pics

Post by KiNGXAVY »

Hey guys, added some pics of the engine.
tubby

Post by tubby »

That's your air conditioner condenser dude! still need the part number? :lol:
A112H

Post by A112H »

You are going to need more than a belt to get the power steering working on that car mate.
tubby

Post by tubby »

sorry dude, shouldn't be taking the piss out of new members. anyway more power. probably why they disconnected the air con belt. there is a balance shaft removal tutorial here somewhere, removing those will give you a little more power/response. so will replacing the clutch fan with a thermo. I have the same scorp and run a 34adm it works well. check if your secondary vacuum diaphragm is working if not replace it (or if your dodgy like me chuck a rubber band or two on it) extractors will help.
all the info on modding the engine is in the engine section
tubz
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I now own this beast. I will be needing a few bits once my finances recover.
I think it might be the only one in nz
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Greets to you bigfoot. Has the car changed much since this thread was last updated? As you can see there was a lot of talk on what was going to happen to the Scorpion - when you figure out how to post pics, get your own thread rolling :)
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

No changes yet, its getting measured up for new (read:super slammed) springs next week and i have fitted the front wheels off my lancer so it has mesh all round. I am waiting for my old daily driver to sell so i can buy a new laptop and camera and stop posting from my phone before i can put up pictures
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

geezer101 wrote:It's not a straight bolt in but only requires an adapter to mount it onto a stock manifold (easy to do) -
It however will require sorting out of fuel and vacuum lines, accelerator cable mounting and deletion of a coolant circulation line to get it running. If you're competent with a spanner it's not out of your scope to set it up. 8-)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it me or is the accelerator bracket mounted upside down? Is it because this particular carby has counter-clockwise throttle operation (opposite to the Sigma's)? If so please post more photos as I'm trying to install one like this and need to know a bit more on how to get the throttle connected to work the opposite way...
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Ok, new question. The carb is fubar, will a stock 4g63 carb fit on as a temporary measure to
get the car running to get it legal
Also will i run into any issues dropping my sohc 4g63 in. I plan to do this as soon as
i have built the dohc motor for my lancer. I plan to keep it auto