Scorpion rear brake issues

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Shifta

Scorpion rear brake issues

Post by Shifta »

Swapped a whole GK/GL diff, brakes and all into my GK Sigma and all was ok at first as I didn't actually take the calipers or discs of. I then swapped the diff centre and to do that had to take the calipers off and ever since I have had a world of trouble! Right now the siggy is in the shed up on stands while I figure it out - as soon as I bolt the calipers and wheels on the brakes are grabbing real hard for about half a turn then free again. I'm thinking maybe the ususal - discs need machining for a start. But the thing is it was fine before. I've backed the pistons all the way in and still have a heap of trouble getting the calipers on with the handbrake and brake lines being so short. Is there a knack to removing Scorpion calipers? Are there any common issues? If anything I want the rears to work less and not more as the car is gonna hit the strip soon so I'm not really a fan of spending a heap of time and cash on them if I can avoid it! Thanks in advance :).
stumaclin

Re: Scorpion rear brake issues

Post by stumaclin »

Just joined the site so probably too late to help you. When you say you backed the pistons in, did you screw them in ? The adjustment is by turning the outer part of the piston which is attached by a thread to the inner. The 2 holes in the outer are for the tool to turn it. This in on a GL.