Scorpion 1978 GE Air Filter

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
rogervize

Scorpion 1978 GE Air Filter

Post by rogervize »

Anything to be gained by removing the standard air filter?..apart from dirty oil.
I think the torque is a bit average in the low to mid range.
Thanks>>>Roger
geezer101

Re: Scorpion 1978 GE Air Filter

Post by geezer101 »

Removing the factory air filter for a open filter element type of air filter will actually kill torque. You'll get a small gain in throttle response and it'll hiss. You can gain torque by adding some extra ducting to the inlet of the factory air filter. If you're game and your carby is due for a rebuild, you can make a small modification to the cam controlling the secondary throttle butterfly. Have a look at the point where the primary opens up and the secondary starts to open (from the side where the accelerator cable is hooked up) and you'll see a semi-circular cam. By filing off and sanding smooth a small amount from the trailing edge of the cam (re-radiusing to a slightly steeper curve) you can improve the over lap between the primary and secondary throttle, improving mid range torque. If you go wild with hacking a chunk off the cam, all that will happen is a big flat spot before your mid range comes onto power.
rogervize

Re: Scorpion 1978 GE Air Filter

Post by rogervize »

Thanks geezer...I have recently had the carby o'hauled..and the also rebuilt the vacuum advance.
I have a TAI to assist the points..otherwise everything standard.
I will take your advice but won't play with the secondary.
The car runs smooth and I have stripped it of all excess weight to improve economy and performance.
I am a bit concerned about the timing chain rattle ..noticeable when the oil is hot.
I have removed the cooling fan as the engine always seems run cool.
Will shortly be fitting a GPS which will replace the speedo.
Cheers ..and thanks for your time....Roger