Scorpion GE Electric Fuel Pump?

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
rogervize

Scorpion GE Electric Fuel Pump?

Post by rogervize »

Scorpion 1978 2L GE
Any benefit in replacing a mechanical fuel pump with an electric unit?
Can someone please help me understand the fuel supply to this Astron engine?
It is complicated with the accelerator pump supplied from an outboard cannister.
Also can the water cooling pipes be simplified if I am willing to compromise on cold temperature performance?
Thanks for any help here...Roger
tubby

Re: Scorpion GE Electric Fuel Pump?

Post by tubby »

usually only need an electric pump if you are running performance mods which need more fuel delivery or pressure ie. twin carbs or turbo etc. stock carby is fine with the standard mechanical fuel pump. the "canister" is a vapor separator it is some convoluted anti emissions system. I removed mine but rules are lax in SA. The water line to your carb is for your choke if you remove it you will have a car that runs like crap when cold. its not that complicated, what in terms of coolant lines are you having troubles with?
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Are just wanting a replacement for a faulty one or are you thinking of upgrades. 8o|
rogervize wrote:Any benefit in replacing a mechanical fuel pump with an electric unit?
Not in my opinion. They both do the same thing. If you are rallying, a mechanical pump is better because when the engine stops (because of an accident etc..), so does the fuel flow.
rogervize wrote:Can someone please help me understand the fuel supply to this Astron engine?
It is complicated with the accelerator pump supplied from an outboard cannister.
One of the main reasons for the cannister is to help prevent vapor lock.
rogervize wrote:Also can the water cooling pipes be simplified if I am willing to compromise on cold temperature performance?
Yes, but there is a bit of work involved in plugging the internal water ports in the manifold.

Cheers.
rogervize

Post by rogervize »

Oh thanks so much guys!
I will stick with the standard mechanical fuel pump( I thought maybe removing it would improve performance).
Also have now replaced some hoses and will stick with the manifold heating..thanks for confirming my suspicion about this.
And I will keep the fuel canister...it all looks a bit untidy and I hate that..but now I understand the reason for it..thanks.
Cheers all...Roger
PS... I am doing some radical things to this car...like rewiring and replacing the dash...it's all too 'over designed' to my taste.
But once I get started ...it's too late to turn back....after all...if the 'cash for clunkers' policy had eventuated this car would be junk!
I have even replaced the battery with a much smaller one inside the cabin. All the weight saving does seem to have improved performance.
First improvement of course was a TAI (transistor assisted ignition)...had the carby overhauled and also refurbished the vacuum advance.
This model seems like a very well designed(over designed?) car and I wish to get the most out of it.