Newbie w/Sapporo

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Mazdax605

Newbie w/Sapporo

Post by Mazdax605 »

Hey guys,

I just purchased(but have not received yet)an 83 Plymouth Sapporo Technica coupe. I was shown on here from the guy who I bought it from in CA. I have paid for it but I am waiting on a few things before either getting it shipped to me,or having a friend fly from Massachusetts to California,and then drive it home. I am leaning toward having it shipped because I would be worried he wouldn't make it across the country in such an old car that was plucked from a wreckers yard only a year and a half ago.

Well beyond that what can I expect to find with such a car? Will getting parts from the US be difficult? If so can one source parts in Australia? If I am unhappy with the automatic transmission can I swap in a manual easy enough? If so what vehicle can I source the trans,and pedals from? Anyone know of any fixes for the digital dash? I ask because the car has this,but the speedometer doesn't always work. How durable are the 2.6 litre MCA-Jet engines? Can these cars be made to handle well?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

78 Mazda RX-7 GS
74 Mazda REPU
83 Plymouth Sapporo Technica
davenq

Re: Newbie w/Sapporo

Post by davenq »

Welcome bloke,....
I have an 82 Scorpion (same as Sapporo,/charger) ..they are a nice car ,......Mine is modded with a 318 (5.2) mopar engine
for a fat ,overweight four cylinder they are o.k.,......don't forget you are dealing with 30 yr old technology....but hey ,....4wheel disc brakes are good ,.......find some fatter ,...sway bars ,......do you want it as a rocket...???or a cruiser???
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Mazdax605 wrote:Will getting parts from the US be difficult?
It shouldn't be. A lot of the parts are interchangeable with the Starion and Conquest.

Mazdax605 wrote:If I am unhappy with the automatic transmission can I swap in a manual easy enough? If so what vehicle can I source the trans,and pedals from?
Again, from the Starion and Conquests. Grab their pedal box, 2.6L Astron engine and manual transmission.
Dump the MCA jet head and try to get a M6 or M7 Magna head.
The clutch pedal is separate and will require a little bit of work to make it fit, but not much.

Not sure whether the sapporo runs vented discs, if not, grab the Starion front struts complete with control arm, rotors and calipers and swap them in.
The rear calipers and rotors bolt straight on but there is a bit of fiddling with the hand brake cable mounts (the ones on the calipers), you just have to swap the sapporo hand brake cable support on to the starion caliper and all is well.

Cheers.
AFC3S

Post by AFC3S »

Some pictures pleaseeeee... :ban: :ban:
Click Here For > Garage_10
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

welcome to the site chris..yeah you should throw some pics up of your ride? :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

I don't know how to post pics,but here is a link to my site with a couple of pics.

http://web.me.com/cdirado/Diradosite/83 ... -Tech.html

I hope you like them. The car has the black wheels on it,not the silver meshies. I like the meshies better,but the seller already sold them.

Chris
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Superscan811 wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote:Will getting parts from the US be difficult?
It shouldn't be. A lot of the parts are interchangeable with the Starion and Conquest.

Mazdax605 wrote:If I am unhappy with the automatic transmission can I swap in a manual easy enough? If so what vehicle can I source the trans,and pedals from?
Again, from the Starion and Conquests. Grab their pedal box, 2.6L Astron engine and manual transmission.
Dump the MCA jet head and try to get a M6 or M7 Magna head.
The clutch pedal is separate and will require a little bit of work to make it fit, but not much.

Not sure whether the sapporo runs vented discs, if not, grab the Starion front struts complete with control arm, rotors and calipers and swap them in.
The rear calipers and rotors bolt straight on but there is a bit of fiddling with the hand brake cable mounts (the ones on the calipers), you just have to swap the sapporo hand brake cable support on to the starion caliper and all is well.

Cheers.

This Sapporo being the Technica Package has rear disks from the factory. Not sure if they are vented in the rear,but they are disks.
webby

Post by webby »

All Scorpions/Sapporos etc had rear discs afaik.
So you bought that, then? I was heaps jealous when Hector said he pulled it out of a scrapyard, it's in a million times better nick than mine :(
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Hey guys,

Quick question. Did the Scorpions or equivalent cars to my Sapporo in Australia come with rear three-point seat belts? I ask because my car only has lap belts,and I have two young kids who still require safety seats,and I would feel more comfortable with them in a seat anchored by a three-point rather than the lap belt alone. If they did what are my chances of getting a set of belts,and the associated interior panels for the car to make this conversion from someone on here? Thanks,

Chris

83 Sapporo Technica
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
74 Mazda REPU
Last edited by Mazdax605 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Check this link out mate, they do only list front belts though :( I am pretty sure the outside rears were retractable here in AU, anyone confirm this?
http://www.klippan.com.au/wps/wcm/conne ... nt%20Guide
A112H

Post by A112H »

These guys are a little closer to home :)
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne ... -help.html
webby

Post by webby »

Galant_GT0 wrote:Check this link out mate, they do only list front belts though :( I am pretty sure the outside rears were retractable here in AU, anyone confirm this?
http://www.klippan.com.au/wps/wcm/conne ... nt%20Guide
I'm pretty sure mine aren't retractable. Just fixed with slidey adjustment things and hangers up top?
I'll have a look on the weekend.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

I know I can buy aftermarket seatbelts,but I was hoping I could get factory units with the proper interior panels so it all looks normal,and not hacked up. I am not concerned with retractable or not just that I have three points in the rear as they are far superior to the lap only belts in the car now.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Ah, okay. Well the outer rear belt in AU will be 3 point.
tubby

Post by tubby »

although mine is a 1980 model it definitely does not have retractables, nor have I ever seen them. And although it has a anchor point on the parcel shelf metal panel It does not have any petitions for an additional seat belt point. US may be different, GK-GN maybe different. I would lift your parcel shelf up and have a gander first might save you some time.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Got the car finally here on the East Coast on Monday afternoon. Drove around a bit on Monday,and Tuesday. When returning home on Tuesday the car died in my driveway,and would not crank over again. Dead battery from the seller installed rebuilt alternator that is no longer putting out the proper voltage. New one on order,and should be in today. Seems like a nice car so far,and very ahead of its time interior wise with the Technica package. Also my kids love the "talking lady" warnings. My friend who lives in Texas came up this week,and saw the car last night. He thinks I should put a 3G63,and manual transmission in it.

Chris
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Just had a look at the pictures - very cool car mate! :)
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

So guys now that I have had the car for the better part of a month plus I wonder what direction i should head in with it. I am not looking to break the bank or make a crazy show car,but some better performance would be great. Also if I could change the front end looks a bit that would be great. Do you guys think I could use a Australian spec grille,and head lights on my car? Also maybe a set of Australian spec Scorpion badges to replace the Plymouth Sapporo badges? Could I swap in a fuel injection system from a Starion,or other car instead of the carby I have on this 2.6 litre MCA-Jet engine? How hard would it be to swap in a manual transmission? Would one use a Starion trans,and if so what do I do about the clutch pedal? Any help would be appreciated. I love this car so far,I just need to figure out why the speedo only works sometimes,and maybe some more power with a proper transmission in it would be great.

Thanks,

Chris
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

webby wrote:All Scorpions/Sapporos etc had rear discs afaik.
So you bought that, then? I was heaps jealous when Hector said he pulled it out of a scrapyard, it's in a million times better nick than mine :(
1Nop, no all of them here have a lot with rear drum

In USA the Dodge Challenger II and plymouth/Dodge Arrow etc etc are the similar to sapporoin all stuff :lol:

GS/R power
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

If you hit up the Classic Colt forum, there is a member there that documented an automatic to 5 speed swap in his Sapporo. He also dropped in a Starion engine, but I do not think he finished it completely. Search for author City Hunter.

Mark
Boc

Post by Boc »

That is a nice looking ride mate, can't believe it was found in a scrapyard!! Maybe not as valued in the US because as it was released also as the 80's Challenger it could be considered the ugliest Dodge Challenger going around ;-)
How have you gone with sourcing parts in the US? Reason i ask is that i am on a working visa in Canada at the moment and have been looking out for specialty parts in North America. Doesnt seem to be too much on ebay (compared to Oz) in the way of genuine parts but havent checked too many wreckers. Since in the US (and UK also) these bodies came out with body kits and other special bits im really keen to find stuff to ship back home... so if you hear of any more shells or complete cars please PM me!

Definately go for the starion gearbox and hydrollic clutch if you can find one - i actually had one in my possesion once but sold it before realising how simple a swap it was... Doh!!!

By the way, that interior is shmick as... given me something else to look for here!!

PS Check my Scorp 'build' on this forum to compare notes...
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Gidday Mate, well done on the Sapporo, looks great. My two 82 Scorps both have retractable rear belts on the outside seats.

Also http://www.mitsibits.com.au/ have a couple of Scorps in stock and could probably help you out with various "Aussie" parts.
tubby

Post by tubby »

tubby wrote:although mine is a 1980 model it definitely does not have retractables, nor have I ever seen them. And although it has a anchor point on the parcel shelf metal panel It does not have any petitions for an additional seat belt point. US may be different, GK-GN maybe different. I would lift your parcel shelf up and have a gander first might save you some time.
My bad I have since seen a scorp with retractable belts :hit: they retract from the pillars.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan