Tailshaft splines

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
DragonCypher

Tailshaft splines

Post by DragonCypher »

Now I know the Jap 5spd boxes come in both narrow and wideblock variations, but should there be different splines in the back end too?

The old motor had a narrow 5spd on it from a magna (so I'm led to believe)

and now with an L200 ute narrow 5spd it wont fit the tail shaft.. havent bothered to actually count the teeth for obvious reasons of I don't want to :P.. and with the new engine/box already in the car its a bit difficult to see

New plan is just to swap the boxes back over as the magna one still works, but it woulda saved a lot of time (and the car woulda been back on the street by now)

Cheers
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Tailshaft splines

Post by 81GL »

What sort of box is the one from the L200? jap/borg?
-I ask as it says in your signature 'replacing with borgy 5'er'

Oh... & if that other 5spd is/was in your scorp... it sure as hell aint from a magna
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

both 5spd's are jap boxes

ignore the sig, I was told I was getting an Astron 1 2.6 w/borgy.. turns out it was a 2.0L L200 ute motor with narrow jap 5spd and most (if not all) bolt on attachments were broken, starter motor, dizzy, fuel pump, air con pump, alternator.. you get the idea

So the one that was in there before attached to the magna motor... what do you reckon that was? a jap 5spd from a 2L?

anyways.. main question was why narrow jap 5sp and narrow jap 5spd (identical in every way) are different spline.. and gear lever input is extended on the old one to fit the scorpion, not on the new one

Cheers
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Not sure whats going on with out seeing it in front of me? but would imagine although they both fall under the "jap box" nic name, they are different variants. if so, having a different spline doesn't really come as a surprise.

If that L200 is still accessible, get the input yoke from it, good chance they will use the same uni joint for the tail shaft?

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Someone else suggested the same thing, but I got the engine/box alone as is with no ute to be seen (got rear ended before internals were removed apparently)

and no L200's at the local wreckers so I'm going to swap the boxes over.
both narrowblock so hopefully that will go to plan