Project Hissing Scorpion

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
SpEc_OpS

Project Hissing Scorpion

Post by SpEc_OpS »

After spending the last 2 days reading a million posts on this forum i decided to put up my project im starting with a 1980 GH scorpion with a 2.6 Auto in it

The plan is to turbo the 2.6 leave it carby and convert it to manual alot of u may ask y not jus buy a manual quite simply i bought the car for $300 and plan on drifting it and before u say go buy a silvia or sumfin shutup cos i used to drift a vs commodore ute. So anyways will prbly need to swap to a bigger box due to the harshnes of drifting and clutch ill need i couldnt find any info on it so ill jus fire qs ideas away any help input is much welcomed

Engine
The general idea is to place the turbo directly onto the exhaust manifold and run the intake via an intercooler to a plenum housing the carbys with a turbo back only exhaust. Im planning on running stock boost but am thinking i may have some issues with not enough fuel. Ideas to combat this were to put a injector striaght into the plenum with a vacum activated switch once the turbo comes onto boost.

Gearbox
Im planning on sticking the supra 5speed w58 i think? matched up with a dellow bell housing and a h/d clutch prbly excedy im not sure what else il need apart from flywheel and pedal box someone told me id need new starter motor aswell

Suspension/brakes
Any ideas here would be much apreciated as im not familiar with hub conversions and what not but am thinking this is the path i might go down mayb sum nissan gear off s13 or sumfin i dunno really so help me out here

Cosmetics
Well atm its the ugliest scorpion ive ever seen lol im gonna sand back 1 panel at a time and spray it with canned undercoat once whole cars complete planning on 1 coat of black done properly then start fresh with proper undercoat spray gun etc im only doing this because theres some pretty bad crows feet and rust that i need to get rid off

Also im not planning on doing this el cheapo i want this thing to last a while and also be a daily driver so safety/reliability is important. That said i dnt wanna spend ridiculous amounts of money on it and im planning on doing most of the work myself.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
SpEc_OpS

Re: Project Hissing Scorpion

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Im dissapointed guys no1 has any views or comments :( oh well i got a qs that i need answered asap planning to stick the turbo setup on this weekend

after practically no sleep last night cos i was layin in bed thinkin turbos n all that ive decided to go a blow thru setup im not really that familiar with 1 and was wondering if it can be in this order pod filter piping to carby to turbo thru intercooler into motor that sound right to u guys only thing im worried bout is the fuel air mixture passing thru the intercooler is this advisable?

PS if anyones got sum picks of turbo/carb setups please post them so i can get sum ideas thnx

Frosty

Post by Frosty »

hey mate, every now and then someone comes on here looking to build a drift pig, but i don't know of any that have actually followed through.

I'm not an expert on turbos but i know that generally EFI from a magna is the best way to go. it's not unusual to see 200rwkw from magna injection and a good ECU.

carby turbo setups seem to be easier to setup initially but then a nightmare to try to get to work to their full potential.

you CAN NOT run mixture through the intercooler, that would just be irresponsible and deadly.

I think you might end up being surprised at how strong a scorpion jap 5 speed box is. a lot of people keep them when running over 300hp.

as for brakes and suspension there's a few options available.

Mrbishi brake upgrade - uses VT commodore calipers and honda NSX rotors 4x114.3 pattern
http://www.hoonboy.com/tmp/MrBishiBrake ... pgrade.htm

Aus starion front struts and brakes - ventilated brakes, single piston caliper, 4x114.3 pattern
I haven't done this myself but plenty of people have, so the information is in the old forums somewhere.

US starion front brakes on aus starion struts - ventilated rotors, 5x114.3 pattern (same as ford and valiant). I'm currently doing this for my club car.

Hoppers stoppers brake upgrade - AU rotors and twin piston calipers, whatever stud pattern you want. it's a bolt on brake kit, no fabrication required. engineered and passes ADR, but a little bit pricey. ($1200 from memory)

for suspension I don't know what works with drifting and what doesn't, but i know cheaterparts should be able to help you out with a coilover setup, i'm hoping to get one myself soon :)
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Frosty wrote:hey mate, every now and then someone comes on here looking to build a drift pig, but i don't know of any that have actually followed through.
Oh im definately following thru going to talk to hi comp performance this arvo and im thinkin it prbly wont b that piggy cos its gonna have good bits n be sxc ill prbly end up doin wat i did with my ute lol i built it spent 34k building it then didnt wanna drift it cos was so sxc n i didnt wanna smash it lol
Frosty wrote:I think you might end up being surprised at how strong a scorpion jap 5 speed box is. a lot of people keep them when running over 300hp.
After many talks with ppl here im 99% sure ill go the efi route plz sum1 give me alist of exact parts needed as far as i kno u need

*magna head
*ecu
*fuel rail/injectors
*intake/exhaust manifolds

is that all? i kno the intake manifold needs to be modded if sum1 could post a link as to how thatd be great i searched old forums but couldnt find it.
Frosty wrote:as for brakes and suspension there's a few options available.

Mrbishi brake upgrade - uses VT commodore calipers and honda NSX rotors 4x114.3 pattern
http://www.hoonboy.com/tmp/MrBishiBrake ... pgrade.htm

Aus starion front struts and brakes - ventilated brakes, single piston caliper, 4x114.3 pattern
I haven't done this myself but plenty of people have, so the information is in the old forums somewhere.

US starion front brakes on aus starion struts - ventilated rotors, 5x114.3 pattern (same as ford and valiant). I'm currently doing this for my club car.

Hoppers stoppers brake upgrade - AU rotors and twin piston calipers, whatever stud pattern you want. it's a bolt on brake kit, no fabrication required. engineered and passes ADR, but a little bit pricey. ($1200 from memory)
Im prbly gonna go the hoppers stoppers kit jus cos i cbf findin all the other parts n getting shit fabricated n i spent 2900 on a pbr kit for my commodore so 1200 is well worth it havent found any reviews on this upgrade so let me kno if its worth it guys. Oh and where i can get it lol.
Frosty wrote:for suspension I don't know what works with drifting and what doesn't, but i know cheaterparts should be able to help you out with a coilover setup, i'm hoping to get one myself soon :)
coil overs would b nice generaly u jus need hard stable suspension with lots of caster and adjustable camber upfront but it must have a very good feel/responsiveness

thankyou very much for your insight frosty will definately be buying u a few rounds shuld i ever meet u :)

tubby

Post by tubby »

Hey dude your project sound cool I would like to see your progress, It would be sweet if you could post production photos in the build section.
thanx tubz
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Yes everyone i will be doing a build report with photos and what not ive taken all my ugly before pics :lol: i might even do a whole tech article on everything that i do myself which will be everything bar installing the computer and tuning it

thats all depending on my mood at the time lol as im sure many of u are well aware it quite easy to lose all patients and not be bothered with anything when it comes to a project like this ive had many experiences like this in the past lol :P

SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Project Scorpion gets a turbo

webby

Post by webby »

Dude, no offence, but you might get a bit more help if you spelt out you're posts correctly, instead of in "fulli sik bra" sms speak. I'm 19 and I can't read your posts, so think of the trouble some of the older members may be having.

Anyway, with regards to the project, it'd be really bloody awesome to see something other than the usual pos silvias, sprinters, rx7s, whatever out there. good luck :D
Cheers :mrgreen:
Josh
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

webby wrote:Anyway, with regards to the project, it'd be really bloody awesome to see something other than the usual pos silvias, sprinters, rx7s, whatever out there. good luck :D
mate, I know we're all mistu fans here, but that's pretty dumb, nothing shit about any of the cars you mentioned.

Anyway, yeah good to see someone else doing a mitsu up for drifting. My GH will be done up for drift, although I'll be using it on hill climbs and motorkhanas too. If you want to stick with the 2.6L then def go the efi turbo route. I think you're also on the right track with the W58... from what i hear from most others, the mitsu boxes shit themselves pretty quickly, especially if getting thrashed like it'd be in the drift... though the clutch and diff would be getting thrashed even more mate.

yeah go the Silvia suspension, I'm planning on doing that for my GH, shouldn't take too much modding and they're reasonably priced and easy as to find.

good luck mate, and put up some more pics aye :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

I Completely forgot to put up my before pics so here she is guys unwashed and waiting for some loving.

heres the only major body damage apart from the bumpers everything else is straight

Interiors in really good condition bar the back seats someone replaced the rear window and used interior glue to seal it which has dripped all over the back seats

Im going to take out the original guages and put in aftermarket ones in this order water temp, oil pressure and fuel

same here but im going to have speedo tacho replace the fuel one with a boost guage

COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

Allll right..

Is this car goin to be driven on the street?
Is it goin to rego'd?
How much money do u have?
How much time do u have?

You will NEVA get a carby turbo ( blow though ) system to work as well as a EFI.. In saying that u will then say u dont have any money.. Witch is the case..

U can use a Standed Magna ECU up too 8 PSI. You will need to put ur Airflow meter b4 the turbo, and there a few other tricks to get it goin. But it will work.

I can offer u as much information as u like as i have built a carby turbo, Blow though and draw though EFI and currently LPG>> BUT if u chose to be a smart ass and not listen ( likely ) Then i wont help u at all, it's your choice how u take this.

Let me know when ur ready to spend money..
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
Thready

Post by Thready »

Firstly, good luck to you specops and I hope all goes well with your project.
I am also in your shoes with a $400 81 GJ, which i plan to EFI-turbo and convert to manual.

I am up for all advice on the parts and how-to for the conversion.
Reading this thread has helped alot. I have a mate who will help me convert to manual for next to nothing, and I will have all parts for it shortly, so thats under control.
But the EFI turbo conversion will be a struggle by myself.

Basically, my questions are:
* which model magna would be better for the intake/exhaust and head?
* what is the best/neatest solution for computer chips, wiring loom, etc (which the magna head, which will change PSI accordingly)?
*How should I go about modifying the fuel line, what parts will I need, etc?
*What is the best Turbo set-up for this project?

Im asking alot, I know. But better to get the right help and advice, than wing-it.
So please help out if your up for it.

COBWBS, you seem to have the know-how. If ya got the time, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
'81 GJ Scorpion - Major project.
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

You have the turbo, all thats left is about $7K to spend.
Can you please post all the breakages and $$$'s spent along the way. Im very interested to see how it all goes.

Good luck mate.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Ok project hissing scorpion is back on track guys i got some money behind me im all healed from my motorbike stack and im finally moving to a house with a garage wont be for another month or 2 till i move but am starting to buy up parts. I have decided to try and find another scorp with straight panels i want a manual 2 litre and just stick my motor in that instead of doing the manual conversion then having to work on the bodywork of my current scorp.

I also added 3 more distractions to my collection LOL atm im building a off road go kart out of my bike motor, doing a turbo conversion + more bolt on goodies to my new vs ute and lifting, rebuilding, custom bodywork and fixing my 4runner all without a garage and all by myself so the scorp isnt going to get started till i move and have a garage so i can take it nice n slow n do things properly.

webby

Post by webby »

Where are you? If you're in NSW and don't mind going for a bit of a drive I've got a manual 2L Scorpion I'll sell ya
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Very interested how much and pics please.

webby

Post by webby »

PM sent
Oh, I want $300 btw, forgot to put it in the pm lol
-Josh.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

SpEc_OpS wrote:Oh im definately following thru.

So how far have you gotten SPEC_OPS?
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Sad to say, but SpEc_OpS was full of shit :lol:
davenq

Post by davenq »

you get that.......
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Well all it has been a while and im very sad to say that no the project never got finished infact it never even got started. To cut a long story short after losing my business, bankruptcy and family issues/death ive had to re asses my whole situation and im moving to far north queensland in 3 weeks for a fresh start. Which leads to my next point who wants a cheap scorpion? all she needs is a new battery and shes ready for rego going for $50 whoever gets in first its yours its located in greystanes sydney (near parramatta) call me adam on (number removed) to arrange viewing/buying. For an extra $30 ill throw in the balance shaft elimintor kit which is still in the box. Its a 2.6 astron 1 auto with really good interior refer to photos at the start of this topic. If anyone is handy with flanging ill trade you the car for a simple flange and bolt put on the brake line of my car trailer. If its not sold within 2 weeks its going to the metal recyclers so get in quick. Also if anyone is interested i have a complete supercharged commodore motor (loom, bolt ons and computer) for sale which would go nicely in the scorp call for details :)