1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Project

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
claytron

1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Project

Post by claytron »

Hello Everyone

Names Clayton, I am 17, Live in Australia and love cars.
I managed to pick up a Chrysler Scorpion GH for $23 at a tender center. (Also had $13 in the ash tray) :P
I was looking for a new project after doing up my Subaru Leone got it for $50 heres what I did
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/project ... e-t404.htm

This car is going to be more of a restoration. The car is mechanically fine with a 2.6L Astron 4G54 Carburetor engine and auto gearbox no problems there.
The interior is in top shape. The car has 5 alloy wheel (1 for a spare) all with no marks only a little dirty.

The car has a few problems body wise some bad resprays and bondo jobs, I have nearly stripped it all back to bare metal with paint stripper and there is a fair bit of bad bondo work.
So I am getting that out now and soon will be replacing it with some new bondo and I will remove any rust along the way.

I am going to spray it myself at home in the shed, with a spray gun and compressor.
Was going to spray it orange again but any opinions on what color would look good would be great.
Also should I go with 2 pack or acrylic?

My equipment is a
- 1.4mm HVLP Spray Gun Gravity Fed consumes around 235L/min at 29psi (comes with a regulator attachment on the gun)
- 240L/min (around 8.8cfm) Air Compressor (Direct Type) (Also has a regulator)
- 15m of pipe for the spray gun

Is this all I will need if not please tell me.

This is my first spray job so any help and tips would be awesome. (eg. prep and paint)

Here are some pics of when I first got it.

I will post some pics of it after stripping and bondo removing.

Clayton
Last edited by claytron on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion Project

Post by 75wagon »

G'day Clayton.
Your Subaru with the roll on paint is something new on me, I've never heard of it.
I see your asking about spraying this one? Were you not happy with the result of the roll on?

We have a few spray painters on here that I'm sure will help you out with any info needed. I'm a bit of a backyard sprayer, I sprayed mine on my driveway, but my car looks alright, I think.
Here's the link to my ride http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2742

What are your plans for the Scorpion? Colour, wheels, motor etc...
It looks pretty straight. I wonder how bad the rust on the drivers door is?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, at least it looks like you are the type of bloke who is prepared to have a go. Good on you :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GH

Post by 81GH »

rad condition for the price
85GK GSR - EFI Camn

85AB GSR VR4dia- Build
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks 81GH
Hey Dave

Your ride looks awesome love it.
Thanks yeah didn't want to spend too much on the Subaru so I went with the roll on.

With this car being a lot better and rarer I decided to go with a decent spray paint job on it.
Also I love learning new things and that was another reason why I chose to spray.

What paint did you use on your car? (acrylic, 2pack etc)

My plans were to paint it orange but open too any other opinions on what would look good. (Haven't bought the paint yet.)
Wheels I will probably just buff em up for now and then get some after market ones later.
Motor probably stay stock for a while but would love to stick something bigger in there plenty of room.

Not much rust on the drivers door the owner before must have got it all out but there is a whole lot of bondo.
Going to remove the old bondo there and replace it.

Thanks I am definitely willing to put in the time on this car. I just love playing with cars in anyway so its more fun than work.

Clayton
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Ok here is some light for you.... (nice car by the way.

1.4 tip is 2K only which legally you cannot spray at home, nor is it healthy for you so I would be forgetting that tip. For Acrylic you will need 2.0 for undercoat/primer and 1.8 for top coat and clear (dependant on what paint you choose. ie COB or flat colour).

You will require approx 32psi at the gun not 29 and to stop runs/drips from hitting your panel the air stream should be activaed or constant and only the paint turned on and off (ie part trigger all the time sort of hard to explain) I have always had rule of thumb that 10CFM is required for painting and 12 or higher for airtools. My compressor runs 14cfm and a 70L tank. I am soon going to add another 70L of storage as running out of air during a panel (ie roof or bonnet) is bad as your pressure will drop and the paint not spray right.

Next is do not wave your wrist when spraying, keep perpendicular to the panel you spray all the time (this is very critical when doing metalics otherwise you will blow thw flakes in different directions and not have a even display (will look like puddles). flat colours are less critical but good practise. Rule of thumb is adjust your fan to be the height of your hand and keep the gun roughly a hand away from the panel. use a piece of cardboard to set the gun and away you go. You will get a better finish with gravity feed gun IMO but your wrist will get a good workout (particularly when you have 1L+ above it) Above all practise and you should be right. I am not a professional but have not produced a bad result yet. Been spraying my own stuff now for 15+ years.

Oh another tip spray all of the channels etc before spraying the main panels, that is door jams, boot rim, bonnet rims, all body lines (line the crease down the centre of a door and wheel arches. This will layer more colour in these areas so that when you buff you will have less of a chance of burning through. Secondly take time in colour sanding etc the result will spea wonders. most of all... Good Luck

Cheers and Welcome
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
tubby

Post by tubby »

that price is friggin ridiculous....nice work
I say have a crack, I painted my car in my shed only spent two hundred bucks on acrylic and I recon it turned out pretty well.
BUT it dosent look all that flash right up close and it probably wont last more than a few years so spending a bit more cash might work out in the long run.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks tubby
Thanks a bunch oldn64 for the info and tips.
They will help me so much. :thumpsup:

The compressor I have was the best I could get as I don't have heaps of money and no 3phase or 15amp power.
The gun only use around 8-9cfm anyways as it is a HVLP.
The guy who sold me it said to take it steady and watch out for when the tank gets low it has a 76L tank.

Heres my compressor and spray gun (Websites Links)
Compressor - http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... Code=HD240

Spray Gun - http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... SV890-143G

What you think of my equipment will it do the job?

Thanks again so much for the tips I will be sure to put them to use.

Hoping to produce a decent job.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Ok Clayton,

Your compressor should be up to the task, there concept of 8cfm would seem a little low for the goods the compressor seems to have, so a bonnet etc you should not run out of air with.

You Gun looks great and is loosely based on the Iwata W400 seems a little expensive but it should last you a long time (my iwata w400 was 480 when I bought it but it will never need to be replaced and came with 5 tip sizes.) Again the tip size you have will not effectively spray primer or acrylics, you gun is more suited to 2K paints with that tip size, you should be able to change your tip size but keep the base gun.

Apart from this you should be good to go, One thing to mention is that there are two types or fast fit connectors for your hose. A large one and a small one. Most garages/service stations use the small one for their air pump line, this is NOT the size you want, you want the bigger Nitto (usually silver not brass) connectors, this will not put a restriction in the line and thus reduce the air supply.

Have fun and good luck.

Cheers
claytron

Post by claytron »

Hey Dave

I will go and see if I can get some other tip sizes for the gun.

The fast fit connector is the one that connects the compressor to the hose?

If so mine is silver and is bigger than the pipe it connects to and the diameter of the connector is as big as the hose.

Definitely will have fun with it.

Thanks again Dave been tons of help
Clayton
claytron

Re: 1979 Chrysler Sigma Scorpion GH Project

Post by claytron »

Hey

Couldn't get a different size tip for my spray gun but managed to buy a spray gun just for
primer. It has a 2.0mm tip which should be about right. Heres the link for it

(Primer) Spray Gun - http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... Code=R-77G

Will this be good for the primer and I was just going to use my 1.4mm spray gun for the color and clear.

(Color and Clear) Spray Gun - http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/Catalog ... SV890-143G

Will these 2 guns be right to paint the car?

Also is there anything else I may need before I start?

Thanks
Clayton
claytron

Post by claytron »

Thanks for the help guys

Going to move this topic to the Build Section Now.

Thanks Again
Clayton
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

The 2.0mm tip will be alot better for acrylic. primer and colour. I think you will find that the 1.4mm tip will be too fine, but give it a go. Wort case is you will have alot of rubbing to do and may hours of practise. I would be using the 2.0 for all of it and if push came to shove 1.4 for top coat clear but on a colder day and many coats so that you can colour sand and buff to finalise the coatings. just word of warning Dont wash or buff the final product until at least 4 weeks have past. this way it will have got to the plastic stage and thus will not mark and smear. but looking good.

Good luck

Cheers
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

when are you thinking of spraying the car? you should take many a picture for us and you should set up a nice progress thread in the builds section :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
redcreem

Post by redcreem »

claytron, that's a nice ride, I hope to see photos after being sprayed. Been trying to get great ideas about spray painting, I'll be working on a project as well, this thread is a great find. (H)
Johnnybass

Post by Johnnybass »

Hi just wondering if in the bottom of the glove box and on the back of the passenger seat was it black like someone had painted it if so I used to own it