tinting windows

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
endlss

tinting windows

Post by endlss »

looking for people who can tint the rear screen on a scorpion ,
tint a car said no straight out and then some insane quote even witht the screen out , and every were else just say no or quote high because they dont want the job
looking for some one in melbourne
thanks
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: tinting windows

Post by oldn64 »

Endlss you have it pretty much on the money. Most places dont teach how to do curves like what you have and as such just say it cannot be done. I did tinting (many moons ago) and can tell you it is not easy easy but it is not rocket science either just need to map it out properly on your rear screen then put it in the inside, should be easy to do for a proper place.

I can give you pointers if you wish to give it a go yourself. Should be able to knock it over in a weekend. Once done though you will most likely want the pother windows to follow to match the colouring. I do have a mate whom I can ask ing ferntree gully who might assist you if you really wish to pay someone...

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
endlss

Post by endlss »

could you get the number for me , so i know what its going to cost
tubby

Post by tubby »

I'm a full professional full time window tinter of four years, I tinted my first and second scorpion and its a bit of a pain but doable.
Firstly the ge - gh scorpion windows are much harder than the gj - gk scorpions.
Taking your rear windscreen out will make it easier but thirty year old rubber doesn't like being screwed with, so tearing the rubber is likely and finding a replacement rubber will be difficult.
The issue is you will need to shrink the window tint and splice the film in at least two pieces. Most shops dont splice film anymore and there is less and less tinters who can do it competently. without the splice it is impossible to tint the ge - gh rear windows so if you have gone to a shop where the tinter cant splice that's why they said no.
If you're gonna have a go yourself buy some film from a tint shop and ask them for a film that's easy to shrink, dye based films are pretty average but easier to shrink as a rule.
any questions i will be happy to answer.
tubz
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
RXCORP

Post by RXCORP »

find another tinter that experienced.

Ive had the rear windows tinted without taking the windows out.. tubby is on the ball... ive seen tinters make the shape from outside the window and use a heat gun to shrink the tint.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

RXCORP wrote:find another tinter that experienced.

Ive had the rear windows tinted without taking the windows out.. tubby is on the ball... ive seen tinters make the shape from outside the window and use a heat gun to shrink the tint.
Glenn is 100% right, but so too is tubby, unless your tinter is 100% switched on then the result will be poor. Scrinking the metalised tints is harder to do but with patience and tiem you can get it right.

I am trying to find my mates number again as my phone died about a month ago and he only had a mobile number. I have also asked for contact details for one of the tinters I know through the stato forums, I have not used him personally but he reportedly is bloody good, and the result are awesome. His company name is....

TEMPA TINT and is mobile so will come to you!

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D