Lowering and replacement struts

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
ThisWayUp

Lowering and replacement struts

Post by ThisWayUp »

Ok, iv'e tried researching this and asked a few q's here and there but so far dead ends. I have a 79 GE Scorp that is sitting nice and low but that is due to the springs being cut... :hit: The Dept for transport have no measurements on record for this model so that means I can lower by one third of the original ride height. I was hoping that I could just get a pair of short throw struts but this means selling a left testacle. Option two was take out the springs and buy some more but I have only found King springs to replace them at 30cm lower than factory which is nowhere near what it sits at now. also the guys that did it have partly cut into the spring seat which isn't good ( what people do when their drunk? ) I can go to and order a set of springs specifically made for it from a place here in S.A. called ( I know someone will ask where? where? ) industrial motor springs on Port Rd just near the south Rd intersection who my brother got some made for his cordia and also his late model magna but I was hoping there was an easier way. So do GE sigma struts bolt straight in? Is there anything from any other vehicle that may fit without mods that might be shorter like datto 120Y struts? Is there any shorter throw sets available that won't cost my lefty or has anyone on here got any that will suit that are lower that they will part with for cash instead of body parts? Any and all information regarding the actual ride height minimum as an actual measurement ie. from wheel centre to wheel arch would be appreciated and i couldn't see the GE manual in the scorp manuals downloads on here so I don't have an original ride height or spring length to go off in the first place. Hope someone can help without sending my brain any further over the edge than it already is.

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving!
Sigmaproject

Re: Lowering and replacement struts

Post by Sigmaproject »

The limiting factor is usually if the springs are captive. If you jack up the car to take the weight off the spring and can move the spring around by hand pressure, it is too short.

Before I shortened my Starion struts, 30mm was about the limit keeping the springs captive.
Lummy

Re: Lowering and replacement struts

Post by Lummy »

That's not a problem at all....if they're not captive, you just put some "keeper" or "tender" springs on there. They do absolutely nothing when the weight of the car is on them (they're just fully compressed), but they do enough to keep the spring in place when you have the car jacked up.