Make it Go Faster.

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Black26AstronGalant

Make it Go Faster.

Post by Black26AstronGalant »

with my 2.6 scorp motor in my galant, its just not quick enough off the line for my liking, what are some things that i could do to make it go faster? without going all out and turboing it. its just a regular carby setup at the moment.
if i put extractors on it would it go quicker?
also what about webbers?
and would a higher ratio diff help? if so what one?

Cheeeeers.
Paddles

Re: Make it Go Faster.

Post by Paddles »

yes and yes, extractors and a weber of some sort will help but im not sure how quick you wish to get of the line, a tall diff gear will def help but im not the one to make suggestions as to what ratio, you could also eliminate the balance shafts from the motor if you havent already and a cam upgrade will help, all depends how far you wish to go and what you are chasing, if you want quickness quickness, turbo is def the go. just mentioning. written above it about all minor upgrades without spending major dollars unless you head twin webbers, but they sound good.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
Black26AstronGalant

thannks , i should be gettin extractors within the next couple of weeks, then ill get a L300 Lsd diff, then i might give webbers a go.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

good luck finding a L300 LSD.
Webers are expensive to buy and then get jetted properly to ur engine....honestly it would cost around the same to go EFI, however will be more mucking around wiring wise.
with diff ratio if u want a quick car off the line get something like a 4.2:1 but for the 2.6L a 3.9 (standard) is fine. However note, if u go for a higher ratio diff u will be faster off the line but ur top speed will drop.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
leoca

Post by leoca »

Black26AstronGalant wrote:with my 2.6 scorp motor in my galant, its just not quick enough off the line for my liking, what are some things that i could do to make it go faster? without going all out and turboing it. its just a regular carby setup at the moment.
if i put extractors on it would it go quicker?
also what about webbers?
and would a higher ratio diff help? if so what one?

Cheeeeers.
Also, if you are in Brisbane I can give you a number of a bloke that has extractors for sale that would be ideal for you.
I don't think he will ask much.
Black26AstronGalant

cheers leoca, im not in brisbane but i am looking for some extractors, i would get them freighted over but im not sure how much that would cost.
Draff

Post by Draff »

Like already stated it really depends on how much power you are looking at trying to milk out of the motor and what your budget is.

Cheep upgrades you can do is
-The weber upgrade -hardest part of that is really the tuning,Jetting and setting up the throttle linkage but depending on where you get the carb from you can do it on the cheep, you can snag a 34/34 weber off a old falcon at a wrecking yard pretty cheep.
-Add a cold air intake and a free flowing filter to let the weber breathe a bit better as well, or the other option is you can buy custom air element kits from most auto shops that just sit on top of the carb.
-Another thing i added was an electric fuel pump (and removed the mechanical) just to make sure i never ended up with any fuel shortage issues but im not sure if that's completely required for a 34/34.
-Tuning/Timing - With the weber on there while tuning it look in to advancing the timing a little, you will use a bit more fuel but the motor should be a bit more responsive in turn.

-Extractors will help a bit but you might want to look at upgrading the rest of your car exhaust system as well to get the most out of them.

-Balance shaft removal will help you pick up a little bit more free revving horse power and the motor will in general spin up a little bit quicker.

-Replace the mechanical belt fan with an electric themo fan - this may only help you pick up a few extra HP, but every little bit you can squeeze adds up.

-Waterpump mod - There use to be a group in Melbourne that sold an electric motor kit that you could add on to your water pump this would spin the pump for you allowing you to remove it from the belt drive and in turn saving a bit of HP. i'm not sure if these kits are still available how ever or how reliable they are but it could be worth looking in to.

Thats all the low cost mods that really come to mind at the moment, have a search around the forms theres a gold mine of ideas on here :D
Black26AstronGalant

cheers Draff ill be getting some extractors soon and getting the whole exhaust redone so that should be goood. ill look into the other stuff and see how it goes. Thankss
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The 2.6 has more of a light truck engine power delivery.

Lightening that great big flywheel would be a good starting point.
trainzkid88

Post by trainzkid88 »

to do with electric fans and water pump Davies Craig do both not sure if they have a pump to fit a 2.6 astron though. also Webers need high flow at low pressure 2.5 to 3 psi electric pumps may not be the answer as they tend to be high pressure if the manual pump has a return line you won't need a pressure reg unless you change to an electric pump also you may need to put the return fitting into the weber if it isnt done already it will just be blanked off standard jets for a 32/36 dgv series appear to be suitable but a rebuilt dgv series to fit a 2.6 astron will cost a about $450 from gem parts on ebay that will be jetted correctly you have to tell him what motor and car it includes the adapter, air filter and the linkages.
this car is all motor real motors don't need forced induction or nitrous and there's no substitute for cubes.
tubby

Post by tubby »

yep I bought and fitted a 34adm webber off gem parts for my scorp and its been bullet proof since I installed it :thumpsup:
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan