GH scorp struts the same as gh green legs?

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

GH scorp struts the same as gh green legs?

Post by astronturbo77 »

hi guys im looking at buying some gh scorp struts and wondering if they are the smae except the brakes as gh sigma green struts.
i know the brakes are different but i hope the stub axles and caliper bracket mounts are the same?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Re: GH scorp struts the same as gh green legs?

Post by shuggy »

being GH still, im assuming there are both normal and green struts for a scorp too? does this sound logical or was there only one sort on a scorp?
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

yeah thats what i was thinking but ive now realised the brakes are completley different and calipers.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh true..

hmmm

well... look up the measurements in the manual?
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

didnt know brakes were completely different. sorry about that. what is the difference between a normal gh strut and a green strut??
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

the brakes are only slightly different... all my scorps had the removable caliper mounts... they run an ever so slightly different offset

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

GH Sigma I seem to recall came with 3 different coloured struts,(green, brown & black?) which had different lengths and diameters. Thes were made by Monroe in Adelaide. Scorpion struts were made by either KYB or Tocico in Japan and can use Galant GA/GD inserts with Scorpion retaining nuts. You can also use early Commodore VB to VK retaining nuts. I doubt the Sigma and Scorpion brakes interchange. I have always used Scorpion struts/brakes on my conversions as I believe the calipers are better.
Roger
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

scorp/ sigma brakes are interchanable, check my posts. the scorp calipers are far worse design than sigma ones and you cant get decent pads for scorps. gh sigma pads are same as commodore.
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

I have only recently joined this forum. If you are going to attack the first peice of mature information I try to share with you, I'll butt out!!!

My OPINION is based on the fact that I've been in the mechanical repair business for over 40 years have and worked on most brake systems. The Jap calipers seem to flex less than the Girlock ones. I was doing many modifications on Galants and Lancers since the early '70s and and these brake conversions since around 1980.

I have probably forgotten more than I remember regarding pre 1990 Mitsubishis.

I missed seeing where you mentioned that the calipers and brackets interchange for certain??
What do you classify as "decent pads"?

Each to their own................

Regards, Roger
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

i think you have mis understood me mate, in no way was i having a go. im also a mechanic, and have played around with these things for a few years now. but i know that there isnt any decent pads availble for scorps and the girlock sigma ones can take commo pads. but yes the brakes are interchangable between gh scorp and gh sigma struts, as i have dismantled both and measured everything up.

sorry i have offended you, wasn't intended :$
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

OK, but what do you classify as "decent pads"?

Certainly nothing made by Bendix or EBC.

In these calipers I use ABL lining material on my own backing plates (made in Liverpool NSW by Australian Friction Industries). Also work well without a booster in early Galants.

Roger
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

I've always used EBC green stuff and Bendix pads in my own vehicles and customers, never really had any issues with them. Its interesting that you make your own backing plates and get the friction material bonded on, whats the friction material made of?
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Maybe the range of pads available in Tasmania is restricted?

I use the old exchange backing plates, not make my own. The material is asbestos free semi metallic which this company developed nearly 30 years ago with only minor change since....... Great stopping power and life, very little dust and kind on discs. Great for fast road and club use. I also use them in my Merc Sprinter van and Peugeot 307.

The ABL company used to be big in automotive pads in NSW until about 15 years ago, but these days they mostly manufacture rolling stock brake pads for the various State Railways.

Others I have found worth using in customer vehicles are Maxistops (very good & made in Vic), various Girlock pads, and Prime which surprisingly are made in China. The new RDA pads are OK but inconsistent and may improve.

EBC black are made from cardboard. I wore a set out in my Sprinter van in under 8000km which the Aust EBC distributor claimed was caused by seized calipers. This is odd considering prior and subsequent ABLs last close to 40000km) The greens are too hard for road use, and I have blacklisted EBC anyway.
Over the years I have had too many problems with Bendix (notably foreign material including metal chunks in the lining stuffing discs and them not honouring warranty). They are certainly not my first choice.

Roger
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

you can buy bendix and ferodo pads for scorps. i have them in mine at the moment. they just have to order them in for you. we dont have restrictions on parts we just have to order things. but most things are kept in stock. loran ive prob got some new pads in boxes at home, if not repco/sparco can order them in.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.