Front Struts

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
DragonCypher

Front Struts

Post by DragonCypher »

So I've recently discovered that after sitting around for a while, my front right strut has decided to give out. Still has some oil left in it, but its nearly empty and soft/bouncy as all shit.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if I should grab a new (if there are new ones) set of struts for it, or if its worth upgrading to something else.

My wheels are drilled for both 4x114.3 and 5x114.3, so any mitsubishi or ford (dunno who else) 5 stud hubs will still be ok, but I assume it will also mean different brakes and mounting points etc.

Its not going to be a dedicated track car, mainly just street/strip.

And apart from effort, is it much more expensive to fit something other than stock in there?

Cheers,
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

13bsigma

Re: Front Struts

Post by 13bsigma »

i think starion front struts bolt in. you'll need the controle arms too if i'm corect. . i have all of this at home. brakes included. does anyone know if all what i have will bolt into a GE sigma? if it doesn't, i can sell you mine :)

where are you?
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

I'm in Warwick, SE QLD.. about 10 hours up the highway from where you are

I think I heard something about the starion struts in the past, but musta forgotton
Will look into it to see how easily they do "bolt in"
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i'm moving there by the end of the year. or at least my girlfriend is :) to surfers paridise
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

a starion front end will bolt in but i believe you need the whole front end not just struts and control arms.

or you can just replace your front struts with some factory items, you can buy them from any suspension place, pedders, monroe dealers. etc.

last time i got a price, a set of front monroe struts for a 84 gl scorp was 160 each or for the pair cant remember, pretty cheap. pedders ones are beta and im running them in the front but cant remember price but i think it was 225 or something like that, for set or per item.
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
woops

Post by woops »

Paddles wrote:a starion front end will bolt in but i believe you need the whole front end not just struts and control arms.

or you can just replace your front struts with some factory items, you can buy them from any suspension place, pedders, monroe dealers. etc.

last time i got a price, a set of front monroe struts for a 84 gl scorp was 160 each or for the pair cant remember, pretty cheap. pedders ones are beta and im running them in the front but cant remember price but i think it was 225 or something like that, for set or per item.
The starion struts are an easy bolt in and all you need to put them into a gj-gn sigma is the struts, brakes and the steering arms which bolt to the bottom of the strut. It isn't a straight swap for the ge-gh sigma though. I think there is a problem with the attaching of the tie rod ends to the steering arms or something. You also need to sort out brake proportioning and brake lines as the starion ones are a little different to sigmas.

I have the starion struts in my sigma but i haven't had a chance to drive with them yet. I would suggest not to go for them though unless you have them just hanging about because finding them, getting replacement rotors, pads, caliper rebuilds and shocks for them is a bit of a hassle due to so few starions existing. The hopper stoppers kit may be $1200 but it's worth it for the hassle it avoids. Or you could use MrBishi's brake upgrade using the scorpion struts with the removable caliper bracket but you would just have to clear the design with who ever is engineering your car.

I'm pretty sure you may even be able to get adjustable damping for the sigma but the starion doesn't have them available.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

I am in the middle of the Starion strut swap. As stated take the complete strut and the steering arm piece with the ball joint attached. I can put up some pics tomorrow if you guys want.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The Starion struts I put in the GN wagon came out of a 81 Scorpion.

To fit the wagon I had to use the GN top mount (4 stud /Scorp was of 3) and the flexible brake hoses, which attach differently to the Sigma hoses.

But as for as inserts go, by shortening the strut tube by 40mm, or dropping in spacers, you can fit R31 Skyline inserts that fit the top mount perfectly.
webby

Post by webby »

My Scorpion's an '81, it has 4-bolt strut tops?
I'm looking at Staz struts too, any little niggles other than the ones already covered that I need to look out for?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889