To Turbo a Scorp

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Stingascorp

To Turbo a Scorp

Post by Stingascorp »

So i have a 1980 GH Scorp manual, 2.6, with a webber, what would be the best and cheapest way to turbo the scorp??
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: To Turbo a Scorp

Post by EVL076 »

Stingascorp wrote: what would be the best and cheapest way to turbo the scorp??
best and cheapest in the same sentance? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
good luck with that....

The Cheap

buy a turbo manifold from "stealth" - pm him for price
finding a carbon seal turbo will be the issue, (if you dont wanna run it blow thru or injected)
1.75 su's are pretty easy to find - $30 upwards
a small mod on ur sump for oil return isnt an issue really - $50 at most if u cant do it urself
factory inlet manifolds come up for sale pretty regularly - bout $200
dizzy mod from scorcher is easy - bout $250
wastegate - $100 upwards depending on the gate
dump pipe/exhaust system - $400 or so?

The Best

buy a turbo manifold from "stealth" - pm him for price
garrett GT series turbo - $1500 upwards depending on what turbo
efi manifold/tb/injectors - $1000 roughly depending on what u buy
cooler - $200 upwards
dump pipe/exhaust system - $400 or so?
turbosmart/tial wastegate - $500 upwards
a small mod on ur sump for oil return isnt an issue really - $50 at most if u cant do it urself
ECU - $1200 upwards depending on what one
allow $500/700 for misc items along the way - map sensor, air temp senors etc etc

than there is head work, cam shaft, forged pistons etc etc the list goes on.....

and on and on :mrgreen:
Image Image
stealth

Post by stealth »

mate think of a turbo like a hooker :lol:
the cheaper you go the nastier it gets :?
cheap and nasty go together
cheap and turbo dont
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

if you can install ecu your self, will save a lot, but also a tue on ecu will set you back from a few hundred for a coarse tune to $1000 +

so $1200 just for ecu i recon. i got my autronic for 1000 off ebay. then 800 to wire up (including sensors and bits modded in my dizzy) and then had a mate work on tuning and setting up for close to 6 to 7 hours and only charged me $400.

So, $2200

on my suzuki though.
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

and generally, as a rule, if ya gotta ask how much it is, then you probably cant afford it :lol:

(not having a go at ya or implying that you got no cash, but thats how it goes :mrgreen: )
Image Image
Stingascorp

Post by Stingascorp »

The scorp has been in the family since 93 and ive had it for about 4 years and i just wanted to know the best way to go about turboing it and roughly how much it would cost..
Thanks
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

if you budget 3k, then that should see you boosting, depending on the gear you use :D
Image Image
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

with regard to the ecu talk again. i sold a complete efi setup a few years ago off my scorp for 1000. including magna head recoed, microtech, loom, tuned, magna manifold. . basically everything needed. all you'd need from there would be turbo, manifold, cooler and piping.

i'd suggest efi'ing the scorp first. then save for the turbo. do it in stages if your a bit tight on money :)

an efi scorpion has a fair bit of torque. good fun to flog. . oops i mean drive lol. i still have another microtech digi lying around with scorp tune on it. they gop pretty cheap. . like $300 but can go for as low as $150 which i got mine for.
they are easy to wire in yourself. i have wiring diagram and such and you can get it off microtech website. they are fuel only, so ignition is left up to dizzy. i had re mapped dizzy for boost (still do) but you can uy one off a guy on here for like $250.

so:
magna manifold re welded $300ish
microtech digi $300
standard dizzy until boosting.
fuel pump in back $100 2nd hand.
you'll be efi for like $700.

hope all this helps.
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

where are you located?
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

minus labour to fabricate and fit/tune parts, you could build a 200kw 2.6 for around $1500 if you can do all the work yourself, otherwise atleast triple the figures to include labour

using the stock engine
sigma turbo manifold and T3 flange or DIY log style manifold less than $100 for log or about $200 for sigma one
Second hand or chinese T3 turbo $150
home made exhaust and dump pipe $300 in bends
ebay intercooler $100 + $100 for hoses clamps and fittings and pipe
$400 for MS ECU and cables, hardware etc
$200 for second hand injectors
$50 for intake manifold
$50 for commodore fuel pump

all comes down to your ability to find a bargain.
the above is basically what i ran initially before going digging in my pockets for power.
i would have sourced everything for around the 1k mark
Insert witty one liner here -->
Stingascorp

Post by Stingascorp »

Thanks guys for the info very much appreciated.
leoca

Post by leoca »

Excuse me...i own a Lancer, but I can't believe the CHEAP quotes SOME of us are giving to purchase, install and tune an aftermarket fuel injection system.
NOTE: this does refer to this post in particular!

I investigated this for my LC Lancer and called the local dynotuners here in QLD southside for a quote.
I was going to run a 2.6 turbo.Everthing was ready to go,so was only expecting $1500 or so (approx figure based on what I have read on this and other forums ...

So long as EVERYTHING was perfect on the day/days ie no leaking injectors,fuel system fine.. etc:
1.the cheapest I received with a tow in drive out package is $2200 for an EMS system wired and basically it will get me home i.e. no dyno time.
2.Anything else such as Microtech would be $2600 and for Haltec it averaged $3300.The Microtech runs best with 4 coils they say.(extra)
3.The Adaptronic was $3300.These prices include the ECU,wiring loom ,connecting up cold ,trig,set up whatever they do.

Remember dyno time is about $180 an hour. :|

Cheers I dont want to scare YOU off (I am just going EFI now!!!)but if you cant afford this, want to have it turbo, your best mate doesn't own a dynotuning workshop(oh you have to be his best mate too)..... you are better off buying one thats done up.( or go carby turbo...although that will have its own set of problems)

There is no predicting labour costs so even thes prices are an approximate ,one guy even went and explained to me they have to duplicate all the R and D that goes into making a Mitsubishi/ Nissan whatever ECU (oh please ):\

My estimate is 6-8K for EFI (with Stealth exhaust and good turbo)and 4.5 to 6.5K for carby turbo(they need dyno tuning too!...last bill i had for this alone was 600 and it only ran slightly better after)...
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

yeah. like i said, my autronic cost crap loads, and i got the ECU for 1000 of ebay. i was installing and tuning that cost all the money, and yes. i had a good mate that tuned it lol. and you have to get a good tune other wise you risk blowing everything and then starting again and doing it right the second time lol.

and the problem. they can charge you whatever they want and say how much they did lying out their ears. shouldn't take them long. my friend a few hours. 3 at most. and it was a pretty good/fine tune. (he knows the autronics backwards so breezed through it) and i was driving (road tune) so was easier for him to watch the computer.

but take it to someone you know and use the computer they know. Ron from Coltspeed told me once "pay $1000 for a microtech and it would take him ages to tune it $1000. get a motec $2000 and he'll tune it in a few hour $500. so for an extra $500 you get a much better computer.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

If you are serious about building a quick car, the first thing you have to do is MAKE IT STOP AND HANDLE.

Then you can make it go quicker, if there is any cash left from your budget.