Dramas with my rear windows, part 2

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Errant

Dramas with my rear windows, part 2

Post by Errant »

I swear, it's like my car can hear me say "Yeah, I need to fix this thing, but I want to wait until I've got the money/time/energy to do it" and decides to break that thing for the attention. So. My rear window's gotten jammed. The usual deal of getting one guy to pull up on it and someone else to wind it hasn't worked, leaving me with the fun option of taking a look at the innards. What's the best/right way to go about it, short of handing it off to a mechanic?
DragonCypher

Re: Dramas with my rear windows, part 2

Post by DragonCypher »

I replaced the rear drivers window in my GJ when the weather strip part rusted out and snapped in half

removed the winder handle, the arm rest and then bottom of the back seat to get to the bolts for the side of the back of the back seat (last bit probably not necessary in a GH)

pretty much thats all that holds the trim on, then it lifted up and off, leaving the plastic water proofing stuff merely glued on, and the window itself is bolted on with 2 bolts at the base.
once the window is out the rails themselves i believe unbolt from the bottom (maybe sides as well?) and then you can inspect/fix the rollers and such, which is probably the cause for it getting stuck

My front passenger window would jam half way whilst winding up, and after dismantling it turned out that was because the window would come out of the tracks on one side then jump back in when you force it.
fashioned a rubber wedge type thing to keep it in place and lubed it up with silicon spray.. hasnt made a peep since 8-)

Good luck with however you go at tackling the issue
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.