Scorpion (US Sapporo) 10 bolt diff centre options?

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
AlaskaMitsu

Scorpion (US Sapporo) 10 bolt diff centre options?

Post by AlaskaMitsu »

I know this has been thrown around here too many times but I still am unsure whats what as far as the rear ends go on these cars. Have an '83 Plymouth Sapporo here in the US and want an LSD. I DO NOT want to install a different axle housing or do crazy modifications. I'm under the impression that the "later years" Scorpions have 10 bolt diff centres.

Can we get a solid list of what will work and what won't work?

I've seen maybe an L200 front diff centre will work???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-PAJ ... :rk:4:pf:0

If so I'll take the chance on ordering this thing from mother Russia.
AlaskaMitsu

Re: Scorpion (US Sapporo) 10 bolt diff centre options?

Post by AlaskaMitsu »

so the L200 won't work.

Only bolt in option is an EX Lancer?
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

If memory serves me correctly, your Sapporo has an IRS setup which is the same as the US Starion.
The Australian "Sapporo" never landed here with that option BUT, apart from the rear strut tower, all the mounting points are still there.

I know for a fact that the early Australian Starion had a LDS that fit the Australian delivered, 10 bolt Jap diff(NON IRS). The Starion community considers them the "SMALL" diff.

Also, (UNCONFIRMED but from a reliable source) the early L300 (4wd van)
had the same "SMALL" diff centre in the front.

I'd confirm your rear suspension mount points are the same as the Starion, and then just swap the "COMPLETE" diff assembly straight in, rather than mess around with the centre swap.

The "COMPLETE" Starion front struts, which includes the lower control arms, but excluding the strut tops, will also bolt straight in (I have done this to several Sigma's and Scorpion's/Sapporo's). This gives you the vented front discs.

You could then also upgrade to the later 5 bolt hubs and better brakes.

Food for thought.

Cheers.
AlaskaMitsu

Post by AlaskaMitsu »

Well Superscan811 I have been doing research and one tidbit of info I do know is that there were never independent rear suspension Sapporo's here in the US. Mine is a solid axle. I didn't even know there was such a car. As far as the front end differences go between the 2 cars I had an '87 Wide body Starion for the last 2 years and it was sitting nose to nose with the newly acquired Sapporo in my garage. There is no doubt that almost the entire front of the car could be interchanged between the 2 cars. It is crazy to see the cars that close and see the similarities.

I see the Starion LSD thing here and there and people always say "early Australian Starion". I don't know what that is. Here in the US in '83 we had a non-intercooled flat body Starion "flatty" up until '85.5 and there were a few model changes in the next year resulting in a 5 bolt wheel setup flatty car with an intercooler then in '86 there was the widebody car. I know for sure in 88-89 the diff center was different from the previous models.

WHAT I DON"T know is what you Fosters's drinking good fellows mean by "early australian Starion". I sold my starion but am still on the forum and parts are very plentiful here in the states. I can get a "flatty" old US model diff center no problem. I just cannot get a confirmation.
webby

Post by webby »

Early Aussie Starion with the “small” diff centre is be our JA model, ‘82-‘84 from memory. I don’t know if your early flatbodies are the same, there’s a good chance though so it might be worth grabbing one to try if they’re cheap enough. You can always sell it on if it doesn’t work.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

It would be good to have a definitive answer on this.