Power steering conversion

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
mitscol

Power steering conversion

Post by mitscol »

Just wondering if anyone might know what would be involved in going from standard steering to power steering in a 1982 GK Scorpion?

Besides trying to find the parts that is.....

Thanks in advance.
Taz

Re: Power steering conversion

Post by Taz »

Assuming that everything will bolt in (which is very well could not on an older car like this)

Youll need a power steering pump bracket, the castings in the block to bolt it on or to make it work, the pump itself, a longer belt to accomodate (and possibly a tensioner and pulley if it is a separate belt) Power steering reservoir.
Power steering rack, power steering lines (i doubt it but possibly a mounting solution for the rack if it is different and the right uni joint for the rack head if thats somehow different as well. Columns might be different as well but i doubt it.)
Apart from that in an older car you wont really have to worry about anything else, no electronic or multi-speed steering etc. Wont be too hard of a conversion provided the block has the castings in it to bolt the bracket up.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The mounting points will be cast into the block. You will need a power steer column ,fluid reservoir,ps belt, bracket and box. Or if you wish to keep your existing column to colour match your interior, you can just drop the PS shaft inside your existing column..The ps box should come with an additional pipe which is designed to cool the ps fluid. Also you will need a front crankshaft pulley that has provision for the ps belt.
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

The Holden Astra electric power steering pump is a nice bit of kit if you don't want to muck around with belts.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

or you could do this. I think the column was out of a Suzuki or something similar.

There is a thread on the site about using the Astra pump, but he also converted to rack and pinion.
mitscol

Post by mitscol »

Thanks for the info.

Will keep a look out for bits - maybe one day.

I had never driven a Scorpion and it does drive surprisingly well, just a bit heavy around town. Power steering would make this nice.

I guess Sigma parts will interchange?

Thanks,
Col.
Boc

Post by Boc »

Hi Guys,
A while ago I bought a donor Scorpion to strip some parts off for my GL build. Took all the power steering bits in order to do the same conversion - the only thing I left (stupidly) was the column :/

Is there any easy way to buy/make shaft bits so that I can use what i have with the current setup? If not it may be time to sell off the bits... having been in my garage in a box for way too long...

Cheers :)
Boc

Post by Boc »

Well to answer my own question about putting in Power Steering without the correct column:

Thought I would give it a go since my steering box was shagged and in need of a refurb. Bolted in the power steering box and to use my normal GL column saw that it would extend about 7-10cm further into the cabin. Tested driving position and thought it could work so i stepped to it.

Had to cut the column bracket off which bolts it up into the dash assembly- easier said than done. Slid it down the column housing and it just fits in before the housing expands to a greater diameter. Bolted it all back up into the dash assembly and tac welded the bracket back to the column housing. New belt and some new fluid and I now have power steering in the Turbo Scorpion... never thought I'd see the day (H)

Happy Steering!