Scorpion starving for fuel

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
oldchryslerman

Scorpion starving for fuel

Post by oldchryslerman »

Hi, I have a GL Scorpion 2.6 Auto. It was running fine, bit rich. When driven for a while, it dies under normal driving conditions. It will start again and idle fine, but will starve again after a short period. I suspect there's some s*#t in the tank, could it be something else? What doe's the inhibitor switch do?
75wagon
Admin

Re: Scorpion starving for fuel

Post by 75wagon »

The inhibitor switch stops an automatic car from being started in any gear other then park or neutral.

As for the other problem, check your fuel filter for any junk in it, and check your float and needle and seat adjustments.
Fuel pump might also be something to look at, along with auto fluid level.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
oldchryslerman

Post by oldchryslerman »

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions, I'll check them out. I'm curious, what does the auto fluid level have to do with it?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Id check the fuel filter first - the most overlooked service part and usually the culprit when fuel symptoms start popping up.
Just take it out and blow through it in the direction of flow, if there is any resistance at all, its blocked and needs replacing.
Could also be your fuel pump showing early symptoms of dying, again wouldnt be that surprising given the age of the car, but id check the filter first as its easier and more likely.
If theres crap in the tank, then youll need to drop it out, buy a few litres of turps and give it a thorough clean out and check the filter on the end of your pump while its out. If its full of crap then chances are itll be on its way out as well from contamination. Might also be a case of a bit of water finding its way into the tank (usually through filler hole/bad fuel cap) but inspecting the pump filter will tell you more if theres problems down there.
Failing all that itll be up the carby end, but my money is on the fuel filter.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

oldchryslerman wrote:what does the auto fluid level have to do with it?
Auto's do all sorts of funny things when the fluid level is low.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers