1980 sapporo gen 1 carb help

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
spackrackman

1980 sapporo gen 1 carb help

Post by spackrackman »

Hi, today I have had some serious problem with my 2.0 sapporo GSL auto 1st gen. Its always surged, never had a smooth tick over, I always assumed the carb would need looking at eventually. Today...... it started, and then conked out. It started, drove 50 yards and then conked out. I noticed that on the carb the little window is empty, I wait a minute, or take the fuel feed off(which seems fine) and try again and it fills instantly. I drive it, it empties and stops... I tok the top of the carb off and the float is free and the needle valve seems fine.. so why is the fuel not going into the bowl..... I can only guess there is some sort of pressure stopping the fuel going in? when it stops, I can take the fuel feed of and blow into it fine there is no blockage, try and drive off and it empties most times and stops.

oes anyone know what solex mikuni carbs are on these? it have trawled the internet seeing if I can just simply by a replacement carb, or get a service kit but I can't even work out what model it is. I think the engine is a 4g52

anyone know of this problem or can help with sourcing parts

many thanks in advance
Jonnie
spackrackman

Re: 1980 sapporo gen 1 carb help

Post by spackrackman »

I apologise about the spelling and grammer, I was quite flustered when I wrote the question.
Jonnie
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How healthy is your fuel pump?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
spackrackman

Post by spackrackman »

It seems to spit fuel out at a fair rate, I have just fitted an inline electrical pump and waiting for the rest of the family to wake up before i start to experiment underneath them. Am I to understand that once its full it just goes down the return line back to the tank? I just turned on the inline pump and its quite a restricted return flow compared to the pressure going in. I have also noticed that when I stripped the car to check the float, I never put a ball bearing back under the accelerator weight. Anyone know how important this is for the stage I am at now. I am trying to understand what it does. I still think there is some sort of pressure building in the float chamber and its stopes more fuel entering? is this rubbish?
jonnie
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

If a ball came from there then it should be there.

I only play with this carb's smaller cousin

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
spackrackman

Post by spackrackman »

Yep, I am getting to that, going to go and look for it.

I have a pal in Newcastle. Steven Murray, drives a ford falcon Xw gt. I am assuming though Newcastle is quite a big place.!

So I need someone who knows these Mulix solex carbs.. How does one tell what model it is? there seems to be so many variations or is there?

Not a carb person.

just going to see if i can upload a picture.

fuel in... float rises, fuel stops? or pass through the bypass back to tank? Who knows these carbs well?
HELP>>>>>
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My advice, take it apart and make sure everything is clean.
Then just put it all back together.

These carbs are not exactly the same, but the very similar
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655

I hope this helps?

Dave...
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Mate if you fitted an electric pump you want to check that it is only putting out around 4 lb pressure. Otherwise it will flood at idle and run like a pig. Make sure it is designed for carby use.
spackrackman

Post by spackrackman »

Its running with the fuel pump, I now could get further but again, once I am using power its empty and conks. wait a minute and its full again and off I go. What is topping the fuel from filling the bowl?
spackrackman

Post by spackrackman »

Well, I have got it going, I have put on an electric pump and stopped the return back to the tank. I have driven it for 5 miles and it now seems to work without loosing power. If I sit with the ignition on though it does flood the engine.. At least I can now get it places.

I think I need to work out exactly what carb it is and sit down sometime replace all gaskets and seals. I did find the ball bearing though!
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

If you are flooding at idle your fuel pressure is too high and is holding the needle valve open..or your needle valve is worn..or there could be some crap holding it open. I would imagine that most people that fit an electric pump do not use the return line to the tank. I still use my return..but there is a restricter in it. Otherwise I think you need to beg /borrow or steal a low pressure fuel pressure gauge to see where your pressure is at. You may need a regulator to get it right.

My setup is a litte pierburg 7lb pump on the sub frame..and a Holley 1-4lb fuel pressure regulator. It is also a good idea to fit some sort of powercut to the pump in the case of an accident. An inertia switch from a 70's/80s Jaguar is compact and easy to wire in.