need some urgent advice on going EFI and some other mods.

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
brad91

need some urgent advice on going EFI and some other mods.

Post by brad91 »

Hey guys.

wanting to do an efi conversion on my Gh scorp.

Do i need to change the head? I can get the manifold, loom, ecu, injectors for $220. Is that all that i will need?

I heard that i can run the standard head, only problem is it wont flow aswell which im not overly concerned about. I have tried selling it with no luck so have decided that i will turn it into a drift car...

i need some advice/instructions on
-doing the EFi swap
-making coilovers
-making a rollcage
-getting HEAPS more lock

the biggest problem i have is a lack of steering lock. How can i get more lock out of it? Im wanting to get as much as my FC with about 80 degrees lock. I know the old sprinters can get close to 90 with lock spacers and different arms. Im wanting to get about 80 as stock the turning circle is hopless.

Thanks guys. I will keep everyone updated with my progress. Just need to get it regoed first so i can lock the diff in it or i might even get a LSD out of something else and make custom mounts for it.

Cheers
Brad
brad91

Re: need some urgent advice on going EFI and some other mods.

Post by brad91 »

hey guys. Ive been thinking.

Would side draught webbers give me more power than EFI? Would they be more expensive?

Thanks
Brad
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i think efi would have more power but twin side draught webers would sound so cool and tuned right with a bit of engine work wouldnt be to far off efi non turbo.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

sidedrafts would make more power than a stock efi setup I think considering they flow quite a bit better, Fuel economy, tuning, and the price would be more though.

The water passage on the intake side of a early head is small and rectangular vs the magna head which is large. You could make an adapater palte, or just get a magna head with the larger water port and much better flowing head.

Other option would be turbocharging it with stuff from the usdm starions. Pretty cheap setup and by far the most powerfull. I have everything you need ;)
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
brad91

Post by brad91 »

the problem i have with turbocharging it is the p plate laws in qld...

I heard that the magna head drops your compression down though? I was considering bigger injectors at some stage anyway.

I can get the manifold, loom, ecu and injectors for $220 from the wreckers here...Not sure how much more for the head. Also wasnt wanting to crack open my motor at the moment lol.

How much are sidedrafts worth?

After good throttle response. How hard is an adaptor plate to make? does anybody have any pictures of stages of doing the conversion or is there any tutorials? I have looked everywhere and cant find anything. Really wanting to get this going soon. Going to try organise some coilovers in the next couple weeks aswell...

Anybody know how to make the rear end height adjustable?
webby

Post by webby »

It's probably easier to just use the Magna head than get an adaptor plate made up. As for the compression issue, if you use the Magna pistons you should end up with about 8.8-9.5:1, depending on which model Magna you pull the bits from. Get the TB and thermostat housing switched to the other end of the inlet manifold and you should be laughing. I'm using a TP engine for my EFI swap and the only standard Scorpion parts left will be the block and crank. This should give me around 9:1, and approx 95kw (std TP). Also, if you decide to go turbo TS rods are supposedly the best bet for strength.
Don't forget to deal with your fuel system. An external fuel pump from an EFI Camira(?) for a lift pump, Ebay surge tank and a VL Commodore pump as your main pump with the standard Magna fuel pressure regulator should be heaps.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, guys.
Cheers :mrgreen:
Josh
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
brad91

Post by brad91 »

lol i didnt want to pull the engine out of the engine bay haha. I just was planning on using the engine in there, dropping the manifold off, bolting the other one on and running some wires through my firewall lol. Does anyone have pictures of the 2 different sizes thta i would have to make an adaptor between?

My motor was rebuilt a couple years ago and it has rarely been run over the last couple years and i dont see any reason to rebuild it lol. And i dont really want to spend too long doing it. I just want to go skid it already lol. I have to try organise coilovers and a RWC then i can make camber tops and lock the diff. Or can you get a LSd to fit in there? Was considering a triton/hilux LSd diff and making all my own mounts then maybe one day making an IRS rear end for it? Apprently the overseas model was IRS so if im lucky they will have markings for where the holes have to be and i can custon make a cradle

The main reason im looking at changing is i dont want to be skidding around a corner and have it lean out/run out of power half way through the corner. ALso want to do it for as BUDGET as possible lol. Im a full time student on a very limited range and already have 2 other cars and a race car to put fuel/tyres in every week lol