Electrical problems - Brake Warning Light and Ignition Probs

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Boc

Electrical problems - Brake Warning Light and Ignition Probs

Post by Boc »

Hey gang,
Left my Scorpion while on a trip away for a few years and since returning a few ghosts have appeared in the machine!

Firstly Brake Warning light stays on now - anyone got a quick fix for me? Fluid is full but I get the feeling that the brakes are not entirely letting go. In neutral it seems that there is an ever so slight sticking without applying brakes. Could something else throw a warning light? Bought a new brake master cylinder just in case it needs an overhaul but could anything in the brake line cause error light or sticking?

Next issue is that my Scorp no longer turns off when i turn the key off. All electricals die but engine keeps running. Before i pull apart the ignition system does anyone have any ideas? I have the idea of putting a kill switch inline but would like the problem fixed if its an easy one?

All help greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)
geezer101

Re: Electrical problems - Brake Warning Light and Ignition P

Post by geezer101 »

When you mean running, do you mean 'running on' when its misfiring and coughing, or is it running 'business as usual' like when you're driving?
Boc

Post by Boc »

Running as usual, just cuts ignition electrics/radio etc. Pretty sure i could keep driving it around the block if i was that way inclined :\
Boc

Post by Boc »

No help?? Guys??
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Boc wrote: Brake Warning light stays on now - anyone got a quick fix for me?
There is a float in the brake fluid reservoir which has a magnet. It operates a reed switch when the fluid is low.
Three things to check, and do it in this order.

1. Check the float is FLOATING. If it isn't, that's your problem.

2. Check the reed switch isn't faulty by disconnecting the plug to it, in the engine bay. If the Brake warning light goes out, that was your problem.

3. Check the wires for a short.
Boc wrote: Next issue is that my Scorp no longer turns off when i turn the key off.
Check the positive side of the coil once the ignition is turned off and the engine is still running.

A. If it has power, someone has wired up something wrong OR possibly a faulty relay. It's hard to diagnose without actually testing a few things.

B. If it has no power, then you have a Pre-Ignition problem, causing the engine to "run on" due to a "hot spot". This is usually caused by carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber and/or on top of the pistons. A standard carby has a solenoid that shuts off fuel to the idle circuit when the ignition is turned off. Not sure what carbs you are running but its worth checking.
Because you said the engine seems to run fine after the ignition has been turned off, this option seems less likely.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Boc

Post by Boc »

Thanks for that mate... will get testing this week. Cheers for the detailed info!!

As for Carb it is a Stromberg 175 running with basic Sigma Turbo setup.