engine wont turn over

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
theozsnowman

engine wont turn over

Post by theozsnowman »

working on a GJ scorp today which was running a month or so ago but had not been started since...

started first pop last time

this time with a new battery in place theres no action from the starter motor nor is the engine cranking over in any way shape or form

I am having a hard time tracking down the cause..

would this be a coil issue or is there some relay im not aware of that could be causing this... if so where would it be hiding?

the tacho and gauges all power up when you try and start it so i think i can rule out the ignition switch but not even a wurr or anything from the engine

ive checked the main leads and terminals on the battery as well and its grounded ok etc

any suggestions as id really like to get it running today without a trip to an auto electrician etc...
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: engine wont turn over

Post by Scorpma82 »

is the car in P or N?

(assuming its an auto)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

no its a 5 speed and i cant roll start it from where it is...
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Could be the brushes in the starter are sticking. Try gently giving the side of the starter a tap (not hit) with a hammer. This is usually enough to vibrate the brushes out of the housing a bit further. This was how I had to start my Ford Capri for weeks before I could afford a reco starter, that was about 25 years ago.
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah i gave it a hit with a universal screwdriver but no joy...

nothing not even the usual click click click that id expect form one if the battery was low or if the starter had an issue...

startting to think perhaps the starter solenoid may be the issue

weird thing is the car hadnt been started for 9 years and it started first time for me and now a few weeks later doesnt want to know about it. :(

id assume a GH starter will drop into a GJ without issue so may look at doing that.. short of getting an electrician out to test it
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

have u started the car since the new battery.....if not...have u removed the plastic caps off the battery terminals?

i know i keep going on the most stupid things possible..but trust me on this...the are the things most over looked

if the car hasnt started in 9 years....i'd just make sure (also) that all the connections are fine, free of corrosion and earthing/powering properly
Built with pride, Driven in anger
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

yeah no caps... plenty of charge all accessories lights etc work fine just no nose from engine bay...

new terminals and ground lead and new primary power lead to the coil and to the alternator

im guessing it has to be the solenoid ... unless theres an ignition relay or something im not aware of... im used to the GH wiring and this ones a tad different...
RXCORP

Post by RXCORP »

On the carby their is a solenoid which has a wire connected to the ignition or coil. Check that wire or give it a wiggle. Might be the issue
A112H

Post by A112H »

Have you checked the little slip on wire to the starter?
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

I'm with what Jason said above ^^
Just the little cable that comes from the ignition to your starter motor. Just a clip that can easily slide on and off. Back in the day before I put an emobilizer on my car I used to pull that cable off just incase someone tried to steal it :)
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

turned out to be a faulty starter motor... the solenoid was ok but the starter itself was damaged internally
A112H

Post by A112H »

:thumpsup: :thumpsup:
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

A112H wrote:Have you checked the little slip on wire to the starter?
Mine comes off without notice :P I could start and drive it, turn it of, then go to start it again and have nothing. Sure enough, the spade has come off the starter again :P that's what I get for using cheap (Wayne's world) crimps :P
N/A ALL THE WAY