Scorpion Diff Ratios

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Johnno

Scorpion Diff Ratios

Post by Johnno »

Hi Folks,

After 450,000 km on the original LA Lancer diff, it's time for an upgrade. The Scopion diff into the early Lancer has been done before, and I would like to keep the 3.89:1 diff ratio.
Does anyone know the diff ratios used in Scorpions, both manual and auto? I've heard of ratios from 3.3:1 to 3.9:1, but is there a way to tell, such as a code number stamped on diff, shape, size, anything else?

Thanks.
C_Fernance

Re: Scorpion Diff Ratios

Post by C_Fernance »

All 10 bolt Scorpion diffs have a 3.3:1 ratio. These are what are factory in the GH and later Scorpions.

The GE Scorp has different ratios. The auto has 3.5:1, and the manual has 3.9:1. However these diffs are 8 bolt and are the same size and therefore strength as what comes factory in the Galant and Lancer.
Johnno

Post by Johnno »

Thanks for the info.
If I've understood, I'd need to find an 8 bolt diff out of a manual GE Scorp to keep the same 3.9:1 ratio?
And if I went with a taller diff , I'm guessing the speedo will read lower than the true speed. Does this mean a new speedo cable?

Thanks,
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

No, speedo accuracy will be the same, a taller (lower figure) ratio will give you a lower rpm reading on the hwy.....but will take more time geting you there
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Johnno

Post by Johnno »

Thanks again.
Taller diff - great for travelling on the freeway to a hill climb; not so good for the hill climb itself.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

pretty much yeah....but then again, a streetcar doesn't make a good racing car either
Built with pride, Driven in anger
MrSigma

Post by MrSigma »

you can also source a different ratio out of mitsubishi express van, same 10 bolt as scorpion just ratios gotta go get them checked, i knoe u can get 4.3 and 4.6 but do some extra research and im sure ull find what u need.