wheel questions

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Rokinfreekapotamus

wheel questions

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

I'm looking at buying a Scorp in a couple days, but one thing i have noticed that strikes me as odd is, it has 1988 Magna Elite Wheels on it. I was under the impression these shouldn't fit. Mainly as I once had a Sigma that I wanted to put these wheels on and everyone told me they wouldn't fit, as they are the wrong offset.

How would these fit on the car?

Also, It may be my mind playing tricks but from what i remember the front drivers wheel may have had a stud missing. I didn't notice when i looked at the car, but looking at a couple photos I took it appears thats whats going on. if this is the case, how dangerous is it to drive with only 3 wheel studs.
The car is located about 2 hours from where i live and was hoping to drive it, obviously I won't if it will kill me

A speedy response, would be really appreciated as I was going to grab it on saturday if all is well.

thanks

Luke
geezer101

Re: wheel questions

Post by geezer101 »

Ask the seller if he's been driving it on those wheels. And, if so, how long? If he's straight up with you and he has been driving it, go have a look at the inner front wheel walls to see if there is any obvious sign of wheel to body contact. I have seen one or two rwd cars with Magna rims on it (it looks weird with the wheels set back but in some circumstances can be gotten away with). As for the wheel stud it should survive a 'conservative' drive home (e.g. not hammering it at 115 kph on the highway or a nice drive around the hills) but that will definitely be the first thing I'd be sorting out. btw - long time no hear! How you been? And good luck with your Scorpion purchase :)
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Thanks for the Geezer,

The car isn't registered, so isn't driven much. He drove it about an hour from where he bought it with plans for a project but didn't get started.

I knew it woudn't be an ideal situation with the wheel stud, and aren't real keen on dying just yet, so it's good to hear it's fine to Granny drive it home.

I have been good, not had much spare cash, so I've been trying to ignore the burning in me to get a project started, but i can't hold it any longer, so I should be around a lot more soon with any luck

Luke
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

We had a ke30 corolla coupe as a bashed when I was younger. Had 2 wheel nuts on each corner. Flogged the pisser out of it. And after all the years. We never had an issue.. But, that's not to say its right :) also, we do it at work. When a car has bolt on hubcaps, and needs an alignment. We just put 2 spline nuts on it. Put all the original nuts in the hubcaps and sit em aside. But the cars only go from the car park to shop. Less than 50m
N/A ALL THE WAY