SR-20 conversion

This section is for 1976 to 1984 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Scorpion/Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger.
Scorpy

SR-20 conversion

Post by Scorpy »

Hi
I'm looking at putting a SR-20 in my Scorpion.
Just wanted to know how hard the conversion is, engine ,gearbox mounts etc etc
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: SR-20 conversion

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hmmmmm....a couple of posts here regarding such a conversion.......why u want to convert to an Sr20? Just for something different? Or is there more science involved in this theory?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Because they are good engine that if worked right can be a strong fast 2L
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

So is the 4G63

It's far more suited to our cars, stays within the Mitsubishi family and can be just and powerful and reliable for similar money spent

Both engines are 2L, both are DOHC, both come as N/A and TC applications and both engines are just as versatile as each other
(not to mention, the 4G63 comes as SOHC, DOHC, MPFI, Single point injection and carburettor....if u wanted to go down that path)

My question is this:
What exactly are you planning on/hoping to gain using a Nissan motor in a Mitsubishi, when Mitsubishi has just as good of an engine?
Believe me, I applaud u for thinking outside the box (god knows ive done it)...
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Starion Turbo motor for sale on this page on Facebook.
I'm pretty sure it's a straight bolt in.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/196332023765712/

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
si81gma

Post by si81gma »

Thanks Dave.

located 2265 NSW

Full conversion for sale.

happy to post.

unique10

Post by unique10 »

Although I'm in the process of doing a 4g63 swap I can see the merit in an sr20 swap. They are far more less expensive and they already come in a rwd setup so you dont have to fluff around with manifolds and thermostats ect. Not to mention the gearbox setup would be much easier to sort out. 4g63 setups are either auto, cheap but weak sigma boxes or fork out for supra or other. And like everyone said there both as good as each other.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's where si81gma's conversion comes in.
Starions are single cam, already come in RWD config, are wideblock, and if you really had too you could convert it to twin cam.
Bolt up a Starion gearbox (need to convert to hydraulic clutch) or bolt up a 2WD L200 box.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Scorpy

Post by Scorpy »

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit I don't know anything
about 4 cylinder turbos, have been into the Aussie and American Chryslers since I was a kid, but this is my first 4 cylinder Chrysler and I must admit I love driving it. My nephew has a Sylvia turbo and
that thing gets ups and goes, so I'm just looking for an easy relatively cheap conversion.
Was thinking of putting either a big block or small block Chrysler V8 or a 265 but I think a 4 cylinder turbo
would suit the car the best.
Is there anybody who makes a SR-20 conversion kit for Scorpions ??
Cheers
Andrew
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

To my knowledge the only commercially available conversion kit for Sigma's and Scorpion's is for a 3.8 V6 Commodore motor.

Dave...
Scorpy

Post by Scorpy »

Thanks Dave, will do my research before doing anything. I will talk to an engineer to see what
I can and can't do
Cheers
Andrew