All Galant owners please read and respond

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75wagon
Admin

All Galant owners please read and respond

Post by 75wagon »

What are the parts that you find hardest to find? Even add a wish list of what you would buy if you could buy if it was a available.

I'm after serious answers, I'm just curious if others have the same problems I do?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Re: All Galant owners please read and respond

Post by 75wagon »

The parts I find most difficult to find
- GC front eyebrow moulds (the chrome strip in front of the blinkers that meet up with the bonnet)
- straight bumpers

My wish list would consist of:
- front chin spoiler
- flares

I'll think of more...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Straight bumpers
Handbrake and clutch cables
Good dash pad
Tacho dash guages
Rear part of centre console
Anything hardtop specific.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Rear part of centre console
Do the hardtops have an extra piece?
A112H wrote:Good dash pad
I should have said that, it's part of the reason I started this, just forgot to add it?
A112H

Post by A112H »

75wagon wrote:
A112H wrote:Rear part of centre console
Do the hardtops have an extra piece?
Not locally but I am pretty sure up-spec models of all shapes had them in just about every other market, just hard to find, lol
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I really can't think of much for a GB that isn't readily available either new or 2nd hand, especially when you can get complete cars for spares for a couple of hundred bucks ... but then I'm not trying to build & run a "concours" car and looking for brand new "cosmetic" parts.

Probably the main thing is new brake discs & drums - they are available, but the prices are stupid (but then I guess I could always change to GC/GD stuff which is half the price or less).

It would be nice of some of the "sports option" bits were readily available though ;-)
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Finding decent cars at wreckers, all seem to be trashed or get crushed within days of arriving.
Straight Chrome trims are rare.

My dashpad is still perfect, but has always had a dashmat and been garaged
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Ga front parts!
Anything specific to A53H hardtop!

On the plus side its always possible to make or adapt other stuff but not what i would call "easily"... :P
Cheers Ben
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

I've found that between this site and my local parts store 85% of the general parts i have/do need have been readily available, as before mentioned good dashpads, and chrome trims, badges and straight/rustfree panels are/would be a pain. especially larger parts as you need to find them local. my main issue is information on the general internet about parts and upgrades, without SG.com i would be lost and my car would probably still be unregistered or still n the hands of the previous owner
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

Light lenses, heater taps, chrome moulds as mentioned, twin cam engines, anything coupe specific, dash pads, axels, good front guards and panels, coupe center consoles, grilles
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I wonder how carbon/fibreglass replacements for some of these things would go?
eg, bumper bars, dash pads, consoles.

Things I'm thinking of making:
- GC/D dash pad (so I can have one that isn't warped or cracked)
- GC/D console (I want to modify one so I can add a proper stereo slot, maybe some drink holders, and I wanted to extend it to go back to the rear of the front seats so it takes in the handbrake as well).
- GC/D dash facia (to replace the woodgrain bit with carbon with the original radio hole removed and 2 gauges put in it's place).
- GC/D front apron with intergrated front lip spoiler (this panel would bolt onto and off the front of the car using factory mounting points with no modification or drilling into panels).
- GC or GD wagon front and rear bumpers out of carbon or fibreglass (front bars are different) Non chrome bumpers seem to upset some people?
- GC/D coupe grill would be to difficult to reproduce in glass, but if the detail pieces in the four holes in the front were't there, it would be as easy as.

I'm not sure if fibreglass replacement panels are allowed for rego, but if they were that would solve a few problems wouldn't it?

I'm getting better and better at working with fibreglass (as you do the more you do something) I'm not looking at going into production and making stuff to supply everyone, but what I am thinking, is if I make the moulds to make some stuff that I want, then once the mould is made, it's not that bigger deal to make a few more, if others like what I've done.

Dave...
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Dashpads! They don't just crack, they seem to split in a major way. I'm doing a motor trimming course and recovering dashpads is next year. WE'll see if they can be fixed.

I wrecked a few cars and people were after the rear interior side pieces for the rear pillars. They have all crumbled by now.

Have you got moulds for bonnets? Tailgate maybe? I think I have the only drag wagon in the world, that one might be a small market.

I believe there was someone making moulds for the bonnet and guards but it would take some tracking down now.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
75ANT

Post by 75ANT »

GC strut tops are impossible to find.

Would be interested in the GC/D front apron with intergrated front lip spoiler, let me know how it goes..
A112H

Post by A112H »

rx22nv wrote:Dashpads! They don't just crack, they seem to split in a major way.
Mine came out in two pirces it was so bad, you could see the metal in the crack/split before I removed it, lol.
And yeah, C pillar trims for hardtops are like gold, if you could repro those I think they would be an international seller.

I think we should make Affa aware of this thread, might give him an idea of what we need rather than what we want, lol. I am sure he would be keen to track down a list if we wanted 10 of the same part or something.
I will flick him the link in a PM.
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

C Pillar trims, I knew there was a better name for it!

Wagon bumpers, sedan bumpers. Guards, wagon tailgates. Rust repair sections for the doors.

We should approach Phils rotaries who is doing the mazda and aussie car panels. If there was interest, he may do a run of guards and bonnets etc. It would all hinge on people actually spending the cash and buy them. Not much point if repro bonnet is $700 and a galant struggles to fetch $1500 on a good day.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah good point. I would be keen on a bonnet and front guards. I would also take a bootlid but realisticly, there might be demand for what, 4 hardtop bootlids?
Can fibreglass be chromed? I would be keen on bumpers if they can be chromed but again understand there would be no demand for hardtop rear bars :(
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Aren't hardtop rear bars the same as a sedan?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Maybe, lol. I was under the impression they were different
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

Rear pillar trims are a must!.and id be very keen on two front spoilers if they suit the style of the.car
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

They will be the same style as this, just bigger

More like this size

So our cars can look like this

astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

I like the 'they wil look like this' bit! The fto one suits the galants better in my opinion, but without the round holes... Maybe rectangular holes?
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

I think by the sounds of it my dash pad is worth more then gold no cracks in it thank god and yes c pillar moulds eye brow mould ( even tho I have one and only one ) and that's all I really need
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Oh and also I'm not 100% sure in other states but nsw its illagal to have fiberglass body panels so one of my mates found out the hard way with a Fiberglass bonnet otherwise it would be a awesome idea
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

2Lgalant wrote:I'm not 100% sure in other states but nsw its illagal to have fiberglass body panels
Yeah, I've got a mate with a 1600, and he has fibreglass bonnet and guards, he can't use them on his car unless it's a track car. Apparently it effects the way the car responds in an accident (crumple zones).

This is why if I make the front apron/chin spoiler that I'll make it bolt in and out. I can't see a panel that goes across the front of the car making a massive impact on the crumple zone but I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want to drill holes in my original front apron just to bolt on a spoiler. I was also planning to cut away the top right corner on the replacement apron (the bit where the overseas models have blinkers fitted) to flow more air up into the cold air intake on my wagon build.
These are the overseas style blinkers I'm referring to (under the front bar)
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

I think by having a fiberglass bar and apron would be fine as you see some older cars people still get it regoed with out front bars so I would say it would be fine just no bonnets no gaurds no doors sucks really be even lighter if we were aloud
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Surely it wouldn't be to hard to do a f/glass mould of the C pillar trims. I had one plastic welded so I now have a pair that are ok but I had thought of having a go in glass.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I would think a fibreglass air dam/front chin would be the equivalent to a body kit mod and would be perfectly legal as long as it was secured safely. As for drilling holes in the lower nose panel I'd just get a replacement panel that looked a bit ratty and use that (it's going to get mostly hidden under the air dam so you won't notice it anyway).
AFC3S

Post by AFC3S »

Thanks Jason for giving me this thread link. Maybe I do can help finding the parts you guys need. If you guys can provide me the pictures for the item that you looking for, I can forward the picture to the dealer back here.

I did find few NOS bumper. Just don't know much on Mitsu.

Feel free to pm the pictures or email it to afc3s5(at)gmail(dot)com

Regards
Affa
Click Here For > Garage_10
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

I struggle trying to find just about anything for the GB. The Gold Coast is well short on parts. I've been to the wreckers atleast 50 times not so much because I need something desperately, more just to see if I can find something, and in those 50 times there has never been 1 galant lol. It's always a mission trying to find certain mechanical parts (trying to find a slip yoke at the moment) I could do with some plastic inner rear light holders. I wouldn't think they would be too hard to make besides the globe inserts??
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

^^ blue car uses a modified VW duckbil.

Dash pads!!!!!!!! The Coupe's came off in three pieces Image, with how rare these cars are in the US, it's even harder trying to find a dash pad, let alone a LHD one if I look overseas.

Cable throttle pedals - for some ungodly reason they went with bell crank/linkage setup on the USDM cars :@ .
That color matched front windshield bonnet/visor thing I've seen in pics on several cars over here.

Pretty much everything I need that isn't basic engine or suspension components, I have to look to overseas for, so in reality everything is difficult to find for us in the States. weatherstripping rubbers, trim, etc.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion