advice needed

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75glnt

advice needed

Post by 75glnt »

hey guys. im thinking about a few things and need some advice
as you may know, i have a gb galant which was a complete mess when i got her. rusted out. wire was all cut up and the car was pulled apart with no instructions or hints to put it together. so far ive got the engine in and running. very bad, but. it runs and drives very rough. i cant do the timing on it because i have no idea where to start. i know its suposed to be 5btdc. but its very modified and the timing has changed so i dont know where it should be. anyway. ive come to a point where i have found out i am missing some electical wire and other random parts. i found a ga donor car for parts and electical. so i am going to strip the ga of everything that can come off and sell or (unfortunately) scrap the bare sell. this all sounds well and good. until i reach the cost side of things.

the gb:

i need to fix the rust (properly). ive fixed it good enough for a roady and rego.
the paint is very rough with heavy pits in it all over.
also i need a front windscreen ($290) and a rubber ($120) aswell as the rear one fitted ($60)
the is costing me $400

so far its $870 without roady or rego or anything else i may be unaware of.

the ga:

as said above. $400

the car is pretty immaculate! orange in colour with gold globe rims. 2 owners so far. i may be wrong but i seen 1600 badges on the guards. so i dont know the price range thing. ie a57 etc.

the only rust is some surface rust on the roof where some paint flaked off. (about 5-6" round) and also on the rear guard where the back and side meet along the bottom on one side is rather rusty. other than that. the exterior is good. the interior has 2 broken door cards and the rear seat is a little shabby. (also maybe the driver seat) it has a 4 sp gearbox so it has the clutch pedal assembly (of coarse. lol). and also has the centre console :thumpsup: the entire car is complete

anyway. my dillema is:

should i buy the ga to strip it (although the condition). or strip the half wrecked gb for spares. and put the engine, gearbox and all other goodies on the ga?

if i do the ga. i would like to put the gb headlights on it (i prefer them over the square ones) if it can be done.

total cost so far for the ga idea: $400

sorry if im being confusing. im a little confused myself. the only reason i like the gb. is because it's a galant of coarse. the drivetrain. and its yellow.

i just think the ga is a better cheaper option.

cheers guys,
mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Re: advice needed

Post by 75wagon »

Pretty easy really, use which ever shell is better, and build one car out of the 2 (that is what I always try to do, my GC wagon has pretty much been the only exception).
I can't assess without seeing the car in the flesh with my own eyes, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to work it out for yourself.

Don't throw anything away (or sell anything from either car till you know what you need to keep for yourself.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

well i'm overstaying my welcom with just the one car. so as soon as i strip one or the other. i have to get rid of the bare shel. which isn't a biggy. any idea if my gb lights will go on the ga?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:any idea if my gb lights will go on the ga?
Heaps of people have done it before.
If you do it, make sure you put the GA headlights and grill up for sale on the site, they are hard to come by and well sort after by GA owners (replacement lights are not easily available).
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

yea i definatelly will! what are they worth? just a rough guess will do :thumpsup: they're in very good condition.
N/A ALL THE WAY
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

man i was about to post a wanted ad for ga lights and grill if they are good. Dibs? Let me know what u would be after plus postage to SA... Cheers Ben
Cheers Ben
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Righto ben. your 1st in line. ill check it out for ya! And with the lights going from single to twin. how do i wire it up?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Benharjon

Post by Benharjon »

Cheers mate! I think the best bet would be too compare the two looms and see where they differ and adapt them... I think from memory the outer lights do headlight and the inners do high beam (or vice versa?) so you would just have to sort the two circuits and wire them separately rather than to the one light... Hope that made sense lol... A wiring diagram should show you exactly how to adapt them...
Cheers Ben
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

On a GB, the outer lights are high/low, and the inners are highbeam only. The power wire for the inner light just piggybacks off the back of the plug on the back of the outer one. I've got a set of the plugs I cut off mine in the shed probably, if you want a pic.

By far the best option though is to put relays in the headlight circuit & just use the existing headlight wires as the triggers. Much more reliable, and you will get better light output to boot. It's dead easy to do and costs sod-all.
A112H

Post by A112H »

These are my relays for the passenger side. I have the headlights running of a seperate fuse box, this also runs the thermos fans. Perfectly designed by GB-BB4C :thumpsup:

Drivers side

The wiring is all tidied up now but this was when installed. All wired into the stock loom so uses all factory switch gear and hi/lo
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks alot guys :) helps alot. thinking about doing the swap
N/A ALL THE WAY