coil decision

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
75glnt

coil decision

Post by 75glnt »

hey guys

which is better for street/race use. more street

crane cams xr3000 elec. ignition with: ps91. or lx91?

cheers,
mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Re: coil decision

Post by Superscan811 »

It really depends what has been done to the engine.

High compression and turbo'd engines require a stronger spark because the spark can be "blown out", causing misfires.

With a standard, good condition dizzy, good coil and points/magnetic pickup, the engine idle and low rpm may be improved with a CDI ignition with "multispark/multistrike", but the mid and high rpm range won't be greatly affected.

Have personally used the CRANE HI-6N CDI and fireball coil on a standard engine and can vouch for this.

I will be using a CDI unit on both my High compression and Turbo engines (when I finally finish them...) for the above reasons. I'll also be using a CRANK (not CAM) angle sensor to time them as well.

Food for thought.

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

fully worked g32. except stroked. 32/36 webber. bored out 40thou larger ports and valves. shaved head and block. compression is 9.1:1
hope it helps mate :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Here are 2 web pages to read thoroughly before starting to gather components for your ignition system.

http://www.sdsefi.com/techcomb.htm

and

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/Ignition/CDI.html

It will better fill in the blanks and let you decide what you really need.

Don't take everything on these pages as Gospel BUT I'd trust this information more than a salesman or the average mechanic would supply.

Cheers.