Look what's found it's way into the shed today ....

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
davetrees

Look what's found it's way into the shed today ....

Post by davetrees »

(H)
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Re: Look what's found it's way into the shed today ....

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

mmmmmm Billies :D

Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Last week I finally got around to picking up the last of the bulky parts from the old Galant rally car I wrecked from the guy's place where they were stored ... only took me 6 months after the shell went to the tip ! :think:

4 spare doors (only panels on it worth saving), 5 speed gearbox (more on that later ... ), complete wagon rear axle assembly, and a set of old 4-1 extractors :

Complete spare front end (including Pedders rally springs & struts - not sure if they are inserts or wetlegs until I dismantle them) :

.... and hiding under the sheet in the pic above, a Lancer 1600GSR engine (H) :

The head from the GSR engine is currently off getting reco'ed, ported, etc ready for a set of 40mm Solex sidedraughts and will then go on to my current engine. The bottom end will eventually get rebuilt as my new rally engine when I have the cash.

The wagon brakes will go onto the rally car (if they'll fit without changing axles etc). The rest is just for spares.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Picked up the 1600GSR head from the reconditioners yesterday .... all cleaned up & refaced, valves & seats ground, new valve guides & seals, ports tidied up & twin sidedraught manifold portmatched to head.

Shiny !! (H)

ImageImageImage

Wasn't cheap, but good quality work never is ......
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What cam are you running in that Dave?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I figured that would be the 1st question someone asked ! :lol:

Still has the stock 1600GSR cam in it ... which is a #6. That will do fine for the time being with the twin 40s & a stock bottom end. (I plan to get the GSR bottom end rebuilt later this year - will probably go for something a little "sportier" then. Once I do the head-swap, I'll get the cam currently in the car measured & find out it's specs ... I have no idea what it is, other than it's not original).

I also drained the oil out of the 5-speed yesterday. Considering the car it came out of had been parked in a paddock since it's last rally 15+ years ago, I was expecting it to be fairly horrible, but to my surprise it was a nice golden brown colour with no sign of sludge or metal ! :thumpsup: No obvious excessive movement in the shafts or bearings & seems to shift smoothly, so I'm not even going to bother pulling it down - will just put it straight into the GB.

I was expecting it to probably be KM119 box, seeing it fits in a Galant without modifying the tunnel .... but counting the input vs. output shaft revolutions in each gear, it seems to have the same ratios as a Sigma box. I need to find out what ratios the JDM Lancer 5-speeds had in them - and whether the standard vs. GSR boxes were different.