Jono's Galant Questions (im an idiot, help :P )

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
VGJONO

Re: New to Galants and have a few questions??

Post by VGJONO »

thanks mate, exhuast was sorted ages ago, currently have a 2inch system on the car with a set of 2nd hand extractors which sounds sweet and even with my carby issues ive noticed a half decent increase in power, and im not really in it for the 4 speed as i already have a 4 speed out of a GC in the shed and would really like a 5 speed but atm im only looking into this motor option as it has come up for a half decent price, what sort of work would need to be done for the RWD conversion, as ive been told this will bolt right in and hook up as if it was just like putting another 4G32B in

Cheers
Jono :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Depending on the source it will need a water pump (FWD's run an external coolant gallery down the exhaust side of the block for the bottom hose of the radiator BUT you could possibly just lop off the elbow and slip a hose over it - don't know if this would work or if anyone has tried it) and the inlet manifold needs to either be swapped from a RWD engine or the thermostat housing changed to a conventional angled outlet to clear the distributor (once again depending on the engine source). The front drivers have an engine mount bracket that sticks out the middle of the belt cover - that needs to go as it looks plain stupid poking out there. Lack of a pump mounted fan means you'll need to rig up an electric thermo fan but this is dead easy to do and worth while any way. Maybe some minor wiring mods too (lengthening/shortening/re-routing) 8-)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

alright, another probably stupid question but here i go anyways

The motor i mentioned before in this thread fell through, so at the moment im looking at getting a 5 speed then looking for a 2.6 4G54, now heres the thing, ive found a pretty good deal on a gearbox but im not sure if it will fit up to my car, this gearbox is off of a 2L astron from a L300/4wd, i know i read somewhere that the 2L motors where narrow block design so the gearbox should be compatable with 4G32 engines, but im not 100% sure and wanted to get some opinions

Cheers
VGJONO
A112H

Post by A112H »

What you heard is true, all 4G52's are narrow as are all 4G32's
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

thanks, was just making sure so i didnt waste my time checking it out, the real fun i would imagine though would be the Shifter setup since it has come out of a van, if it is an issue could i just swap the shifter setup for a 4 speed one?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not really sure to be honest mate. Never seen a box out of a van, don't know how the linkages hook up.
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

4wd gearbox wont work. They connect to a transfer case and have a different rear extension housing,plus use linkages to shift. I had a l300 4wd for 13 years.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Ok i have another stupid question but is GB suspension and GD suspension components interchangeable??
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've been on here... been overseas a lot for work, and not checked here lately! How did you go with the 5-speed conversion? I got my 5-speed out of a late 70s Lancer and it bolts right on. Had to cut a bigger hole for the shifter (it's about 100mm further back!), but other than that, it was an easy change! Not sure what other boxes work, though I'd be dubious about the L300 box...
Good luck!
Luke.
VGJONO

Re: Jono's Galant Questions (im an idiot, help :P )

Post by VGJONO »

alright im stuck on something again, and of course as usual its electrical. so now i have put in my new motor (refer to my members rides thread for more info) and ive hooked everything up, now after having some other electrical troubles with the ignition system i thought i was out of the woods in the way of electrical problems, but now i cant get it to turn over, ive put the starter off of my old motor in now as i know it works, and i have tested it since to make sure it works and it does, but when all plugged up there is nothing happening. now if my issue isnt with the starter then what could it be???

LukeAussie wrote:Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've been on here... been overseas a lot for work, and not checked here lately! How did you go with the 5-speed conversion? I got my 5-speed out of a late 70s Lancer and it bolts right on. Had to cut a bigger hole for the shifter (it's about 100mm further back!), but other than that, it was an easy change! Not sure what other boxes work, though I'd be dubious about the L300 box...
Good luck!
Luke.
havent done a 5 speed conversion yet, so far ive dropped a new motor and 4 spd in as my old motor was on its last legs

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Alrighty just to put a bit of closure to my last post/question in this thread, after consulting an auto electrician he suggested that putting a relay in the ignition line would help, so i hooked up a relay and presto it works, i drew up a diagram to show what i did, even though its fairly simple (more for something to look at if someone stumbles across this while having the same issue)

Before:

After:

The problem i was having was just that there wasnt enough power getting through the original wiring to activate the solenoid, i know this becaus ewe still had power coming to the wire but because i only have a test light i wasnt seeing how much power was coming through, so fitting a relay was a cheap solution to fix the problem :thumpsup:

Cheers
VGJONO
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Just another quick question, but is there any difference between a manual and auto galant diff, ratio differences or anything?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Not that I know of. Only a wagon is different. I think the sedan is a 3.89:1
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

So again i have a few questions/want peoples opinions.

Firstly im thinking of getting a cam for my motor, or getting the spare G32 cam i have reground, what is the best option, and what would be a good streetable cam type?

Secondly, making my Galant handle, So far im thinking for the rear, new shocks (for the time being the ones off of the GB parts car) aswell as getting an extra leaf put into the springs then lowered, and for the front putting Sigma struts(brake upgrade mainly) with lowered springs and matching shocks, possibly a larger sway bar if i can find one, what do you guys think?

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
mrelshauno

Post by mrelshauno »

Sounds good. Find your sway bar here; http://www.mako.com.au/
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

With your cam.. You might have to leave it be as its a turbo ready engine.. So it's a waste of time.. The amount the cam will cost, you could take off a great chunk/pay for the turbo setup.. As for brakes.. Gh sigma struts, with brakes and all. With the rear.. Maybe just reset the leafs and lowered springs and shocks?? It seems you have the front sorted reading it over again.. So I'd go with that :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Well here i am again, with another question/dilemma thats not quite thread worthy, but if i dont get opinions to help me out i will be sitting here in deep thought for many many hours, as i have been for the last hour and a half.

So recently i seen a GD coupe for sale and was stupid enough to ask, the price is good for a Gd coupe, and is a fair asking price for the condition that this thing is in. it has some rust, there is a whole in the sill, some on the right rear flare for the wheel, around the bottom and sides of the quarter windows, typical stuff underneath the back window. it is also missing a quater glass, the seats have seen better days and the rear quater has had a light hit on the back corner. now my only issue is what the hell am i going to do with something like this, i have little money, and no skill in fixing rust issues like that. i will not be able to register a second car for a long while.

Im thinking i could

A. grab it and sit it behind the shed for a few years (after stopping its current corrosion problems) then either sell it on or do something with it

B. Use it as a car i send to the panel beaters to get the rust issues fixed to see the quality of their work for my other project. then once its back either get it running and sell on/keep it. or do something stupidly fun and drop a cheap stazz turbo motor in and take it out to willowbank every now and then

Honestly i want to hear ideas of what could be done with it (keep in mind im a broke tightass :P ) so any ideas anyone?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Honestly?? I'd swap them over.. Make the sedan as a fun car. And the coupe as a daily. Do something completely different and go the 3.0 v6 magna engine. Do some work to it. And have fun! Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

if i was going to do the kind of work a V6 magna engine swap would need, i would just squeeze a small block mopar into it and drag race it :P not a bad idea,
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea but that's what everyone does :P I'm not into that. I like making something small and unexpected. Do extraordinary things :) who cares if there was money wasted (5k into a full v6 conversion vs 5k into a g63t that will pull harder and faster). But no one else has it. :) just a thought
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

How about, Flat Black, Dropped on its guts with some white 13"/14" meshies as wide as i can get them. thoughts?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmm. Like ssr meshies? I would be different.. What about gloss black wheels?
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

something like that, or some widened stockies with white walls :P but then i think it might get too "wanna be rat rod" looking
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha yea! Red rims, chrome trims, white walls, matte black, and shark teeth up front! :D
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

i want to stay away from the whole rat rod thing though, rounded cars dont pull it off, seen it done on a late model val and it just didnt look right.

Im thinking LOW, Matte black and SSR Meshies or something like that with white centre's would look alright or some 15" steelies. not sure what i would do with the motor.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

V6 :P haha.. Or a 2.0 g52?
N/A ALL THE WAY