4age into a GB Galant?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Westie

4age into a GB Galant?

Post by Westie »

Pretty much what I want to know is how hard is it to put a 4age engine in a manual GB sedan?

I have seen that a couple of people have done it but have not found what is involved in doing it.

So if anyone has any handy tips about this please feel free to chime in any info will be helpful.
A112H

Re: 4age into a GB Galant?

Post by A112H »

The best way would be to sell the GB to someone else and buy a KE70 to put the engine in.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I have read an article that someone has put in this engine was installed into a MkI Ford Cortina using Sigma engine mounts........not sure if it makes things easier for you......but it's a start
Built with pride, Driven in anger
webby

Post by webby »

Not a bad idea, although it'll piss the purists off no end :P
I'd think custom gearbox and engine mounts and a custom tailshaft would be it really, then there's all the usual wiring and fuel system crap that comes with converting any carby car to run an injected motor. Never actually done the swap into a Mitsubishi, but I have helped put a smallport into a Datsun Sunny before.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Whilst I would make the same suggestion as A112H, not only because of the sacrilege being committed ( :P I'm stirring, but I still think its sacrilege..) but there's a swag of KE70's running running various versions of the 4AGE so there'd be a lot more parts and info available for cramming one under the bonnet. Not to mention the fact that there's few for sale with the conversion already done! a great way to save coin.

But, if you're insisting on it, you'll need to study up on the motor itself and decide what motor you want to use. There's the earlier 16 valve motor that came in RWD vehicles (mostly AE86's I think) so theres no issues running north south, plus these came in a supercharged version (4AGZE found in MR2's) just for something different. Plus these motors can be turbo'd cheap and easily. If you want one of the late 20 valve silver or black top motors you need to relocate the distributor and thermostat. There's ways to do it, but its still a headache. Plus I'm not sure what gearboxes you can run with them but seeing how popular they are in KE70's and AE86's one would assume the stocko T50 works :\
An atmo 16V should wheeze out about 75ish kW, the S/C in stock form is good for about 110 kW as is the N/A 20V motors. And that's mostly stock figures there so it al becomes dependant on the thickness of your wallet.

One hurdle besides mounts and rear cross members would be the fact that the exhaust runs down the passenger side as opposed to the drivers side as do all mitsu motors. That means your inlet manifold will be on the drivers side and may interfere with your brake master cylinder.

I only know all this as I've been researching the AE86 Sprinter as a replacement for my 260Z :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
ozyvr4

Post by ozyvr4 »

I know this a very thread , but I only just found it. I fitted a 20v silver top to a ga galant back in 1998. The fit was a little complicated back then as everything was custom. I used the stock gb 1.6 rubber engine mount with a custom engine bracket. I modified the 5 speed gearbox mount and bolted the Toyota t50 rubber to it. The tail shaft had to fitted with the t50 spline at the front.
Headers were custom back when compares to a set of ae86 headers, very similar.

Ill find some pics or if you search my post you wil see the car.
Old - GB Galant powered by Toyota 4AGE 2o Valve
New - HH VR4 Galant powered by 4G63 & FP3052 (GT3076 Turbo )