Disk Brake conversion.

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
smash

Disk Brake conversion.

Post by smash »

I am looking for a rear disk brake conversion for my Gb Galant and front disk upgrade if anyone knows where i can get one from that would be much appreciated.

Thanks Luke
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
75wagon
Admin

Re: Disk Brake conversion.

Post by 75wagon »

Would a 2.6 Sigma strut and disc combo be enough for you?
A straight bolt in is a GH Sigma strut.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

75wagon wrote:Would a 2.6 Sigma strut and disc combo be enough for you?
A straight bolt in is a GH Sigma strut.

Dave...
I am certainly interested!!!
What would be required for the conversion???? SIgma parts I can get up here but Galant it is cheaper to make what you need :l

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

72GalantGirl wrote:What would be required for the conversion????
GH Sigma struts and take the brake hoses too. You'll need the strut to caliper end.

GH Sigma struts are 3 bolt bottom plate struts (Same as Galant and Lancer).
I have GH struts on my Lancer Hatch.

Later model struts will fit, but you need to take the steering arm off the ball joint (as they are only 2 bolt not 3).

Be aware, by changing to Sigma struts you are not just changing the brakes, you are changing the wheel track as well read this topic Strut offset differences

The next problem you will find will be spring heights.
Can someone confirm that running the Sigma springs in the Sigma struts on a Galant, actually raises the front of the car? (My hatch came with the conversion already done).

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Yep, the front will come up about 2". Put in some KingSprings (you'll need to capture them by using different strut inserts - detailed on this site somewhere). Also, best to get the steering arms as well as the struts because the Galant steering arms are likely to foul the calipers at full extension and full lock. The Scorp ones do anyway, not sure of Sigma ones (they are different).
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have GH struts and calipers in the hardtop and there is no fouling. In the rear I have just about fitted a EX Lancer disc brake LSD.
As far as springs go I bought the front struts converted to coil overs so have no idea about the stock springs
smash

Post by smash »

Thanks guys i can get some GH struts easy. How much bigger are the disk/calibers??? Is it worth it????.

Luke
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Front DBA210
[x] DBA210 Linked Vehicles
MITSUBISHI > GALANT > GC
MITSUBISHI > GALANT > GD
MITSUBISHI > LANCER > LA
MITSUBISHI > LANCER > LB
MITSUBISHI > LANCER > LC
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GE 1.6L
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GE 2.0L
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GE 2.6L

[x] Street Series Standard 229 x 13

Front DBA205
[x] DBA205 Linked Vehicles
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GH
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GJ
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GK
MITSUBISHI > SIGMA > GN

[x] Street Series Standard 256 x 13

http://www.dba.com.au/product-search

You will also need to upgarde your wheels to 14" or bigger, if they aren't already.
smash

Post by smash »

Thanks heaps for that I'm in. :)

Luke
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

smash wrote:Is it worth it????.
In a stock-ish car ... probably not IMHO. Stock GA/GB front brakes are fine. Remember that unless you significantly upgrade the rear brakes as well, you could end up with really unbalanced braking.

One advantage of changing to GC/GD/Lancer/Sigma struts & brakes is that you can buy new replacement discs ... the GA/GB discs (DBA209) are no longer available :(

On the other hand, the GC -> GE brakes have crappy single piston sliding calipers rather than the twin-piston calipers on the GA/GB. The GC-> GE discs are smaller diameter too (although they are thicker)
smash

Post by smash »

My GB calibers are single piston?? :wut: does that mean i have GC > GE Calibers?
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

In my GA i got a wagon diff from a GC/D and sigma struts ect

Best thing i would do is go with what davetrees says GC/D ect ones i would change it to depends on what you want to do with car really if you want to put a bigger motor in what ever but still as a good upgrade put those struts in cant go wrong and i didnt even know GA ones you cant buy anymore.

I remmber buying GD back shoes the guy said havent ordered those in for the last 15 years lol
woops

Post by woops »

The twin piston he is probably talking about is actually one piston on each side of the calipers. I have the same brakes on my GB and they pull up great.
davetrees wrote:the GA/GB discs (DBA209) are no longer available :(
I remember there were some over in the states as a NOS item about a year ago but they sold before I got the chance to get them. I might see if I can track some down for when mine eventually run out as I'm not too keen on trying to find some at the wreckers to replace the discs once they wear out.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

Thanks for the info will see how I go. Gotta travel to look at the GH's and have the manual here for one anyways. See what the guy wants for them and do a trip there with my partner. Not really awake right now should be in bed so I will have another look over this post when I am alive :) Does sound promising with my very little knowledge :)

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

woops wrote:The twin piston he is probably talking about is actually one piston on each side of the calipers
Yes. They are Sumitomo calipers.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

davetrees wrote:
woops wrote:The twin piston he is probably talking about is actually one piston on each side of the calipers
Yes. They are Sumitomo calipers.
? & these are factory?

Pictures please, interested to see these. So why on earth would they have twin piston calipers for the early galants and then go backwards to the push bike spec things used in the GC -> & GE sigma?

:wut:

Back on topic. I had the same experience as Tandanus with the fouling, so I've also got the lower arm (come to think of it... that's probably causing some funny angles with the steering - as in not in line :think: Will have a look at that when I have a few spare minutes)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

these are factory?
Yes - on GA/GB. They take the same disc pad as Holden Gemini & Mazda RX3, so plenty of good compound pads available.
Pictures please
I'll put some up later
So why on earth would they have twin piston calipers for the early galants and then go backwards to the push bike spec things used in the GC -> & GE sigma?
[/quote]
Probably because they where cheaper, I guess ?
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

75wagon wrote:
72GalantGirl wrote:What would be required for the conversion????
GH Sigma struts and take the brake hoses too. You'll need the strut to caliper end.

GH Sigma struts are 3 bolt bottom plate struts (Same as Galant and Lancer).
I have GH struts on my Lancer Hatch.

Later model struts will fit, but you need to take the steering arm off the ball joint (as they are only 2 bolt not 3).

Be aware, by changing to Sigma struts you are not just changing the brakes, you are changing the wheel track as well read this topic Strut offset differences

The next problem you will find will be spring heights.
Can someone confirm that running the Sigma springs in the Sigma struts on a Galant, actually raises the front of the car? (My hatch came with the conversion already done).

Dave...
Just found these on eBay, looks like their still available, could be old stock though.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280770935389 ... 1992wt_944
galantacious

Post by galantacious »

wow i fail, the above comment was supposed to be in reference to davetrees saying GA-GB discs are NLA, no idea how i quoted the wrong person lol
damageinc86

Post by damageinc86 »

What about rear disc brakes? Was there ever such a thing for the galant (colt)?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not for the RWD models.
damageinc86

Post by damageinc86 »

ahh damn. Wonder if there are any other cars with rear discs that would fit. Would be cool to get rid of those damn drums.
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have a EX Lancer diff under my hardtop, not sure if you guys got those over there but it is limited slip and disc brakes with a nime 3.9 ratio
smash

Post by smash »

How much did the lancer diff cost?
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I bought it privately for $1000 fully rebuilt.
I really lucked out finding it, I was ringing wreckers looking for a R31 LSD and one of the wreckers I rang, the guy behind the counter had the EX LSD at home and wanted to sell it, lol
natosig

Post by natosig »

good score with that ex lancer diff mate they are rare as in nz and those lsds only come in the 2 litre and 1800 turbo jap spec
84 gk sigma
smash

Post by smash »

yeah that was a great find i wish i could have a find like that
will r31 diff fit?

Luke
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
A112H

Post by A112H »

R31 diff's will need shortening, about 100mm I think. If you are lucky enough to score a Series 3 Bluebird TRX LSD they are the right width so just need modding to suit your suspension.
After I looked into it, and if I hadn't found the EX diff, I would have went for a XE to AU Borg Warner LSD. They are the same as the R31 but will only cost you about $100 so work out cheaper after shortening and getting the studs converted to 4x114.3. Of course if you want to go to 5 stud then you will be miles ahead. Best quotes I got on shortening was $150 per axle and $400 for the housing. So if you wanted to go to 5 stud you could get a good strong Falcon lsd under your car for about $800. That's a bargain in my book.
smash

Post by smash »

ok sounds good i'll look into it thanks

luke
72 GB Galant
VH Commodore
Chrysler x Chrysler
Suzuki Sj50 sierra
Mazda 121
2x series 2a landrovers
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

A112H-interested on the disc brake conversion using the ex lancer's. so all you have to do is cut the diffs by 100mm?that means 50mm both sides right?thats it?or redo the mounts and other things?can you send us pics of the conversion installed?thanks