Little problem with ABBY's wheel?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
74GalantGB

Little problem with ABBY's wheel?

Post by 74GalantGB »

NO idea what's with it, but ABBY's passenger side front wheel sticks out slightly further than the rest... and than the side of the car.
Any idea what is making her do this??

Dad tried replacing the strut, and done a few other bits and pieces, but hasn't made a difference.
'74 GB.

R.I.P ALF; my darling little car. You never had a fault in/on you. ~ </3

Definition: "Shim"; being a supreme being of awesomeness which is neither male nor female but walks among both worlds as it pleases.

<.* Yes, I'm an idiot. Get over it. :) *.>
Torana68

Re: Little problem with ABBY's wheel?

Post by Torana68 »

could be any number of things, how far out? is the other side the same amount in?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Double check that they are a matching set of mags. Take the front two rims off and compare the numbers on the inside of the rim.

What part are you comparing against? if it is the edge of the guards, could be the panels are not sitting equal too.
? not sure how to check that properly, I guess you could measure from equal points back to a common point on the chassis, like the shock absorber for example.

Any chance of some pictures to help explain :)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Thinking back, and I mean back, it was like 24 years ago, lol. I think when I put the 13x6 jelly beans on my GB the passenger side tyre stuck out like an inch further. I was running 185's I think but I do remember the passenger side scraped and the drivers didn't.
BOOTS

Post by BOOTS »

swap mags around, if it still does it that eliminates one mag having a different off set to the others.
Nat881

Post by Nat881 »

Look closely on the fenders, there might be a slight deformity on either side, check the curves and arches, better if you use any measuring instrument...
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Every single Galant I've owned (quite a few over the years) has had slightly different wheel-to-panel alignment from left to right hand side. The passenger sides have always had the wheel sitting further out to varying degrees on different cars. I'm surprised no-one has commented on the diffs either - exactly the same issue though often not as noticeable. I used to try and run the largest offset I could get away with for rally tyres under standard 'rolled' guards and would always end up crunching a LH guard at some point in a season - never crunched a RH guard. From memory, our early RX Mazda diff conversions had the spring saddles welded slightly off-centre so the wheels would actually sit uniformly under the rear guards.
We also used to drill the top guard mounting holes out and 'stretch' the guards outward as much as we could, adjusting the passenger front door and bonnet to suit the panel line. This is ok on a rally car with multiple colours and signwriting that doesn't have to look mint but far from ideal on a clean road car......
BTW, my GTO has exactly the same problem (quite pronounced too) and I've long suspected Mitsubishi stuffed up somewhere with the original body shell alignment. I know a few guys with LA Lancers who've experienced the same issue.
Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows.....
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I know a few guys with LA Lancers who've experienced the same issue.
This might explain why my second LA used to always scrape the front guard lip when I had my 13 x 6 superlites on it. Used to do it always on this one particular Rd that had this nice dip section in it.
1976 Galant Hardtop
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I wonder wether or not the mismatch offset changes from left hand to right hand depending on where the car is built? Front passenger offset here in australia may very well be deliberate to conpensate for road camber. :think: