Thermo Fan

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Galantish

Thermo Fan

Post by Galantish »

Hey

I got my new car today :) runs very well very happy with it anyway it has a thermo fan but its running off a switch off the dash to turn it on and off. What is the best way i can fit a temp switch sensor into a 2.6? Was looking at installing one of those thermo switchs that connects into the top of the radiator house or drilling a hole into the thermo casing and fitting one anyway ideas would be great :)
rob020

Re: Thermo Fan

Post by rob020 »

you can get a thermostatic switch out of a commodore radiator and take your radiator to a radiator place and get them to weld a bung into it for the thermostatic switch and that will controll your fan

or davies craig make a switch that sells at supercheap for about $60 that has a sensor you have to put in the top radiator hose

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Whichever type of sensor arrangement you use, wire in an "over-ride" switch as well, so if the sensor fails you can manually switch the fan on.

I've wired the one in my car so that a small LED pilot light on the dash comes on whenever the fan kicks in - just so you know it's working.
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

best bit is this new little piece found in auto-barn performance shops its a hose splitter pretty much you cut hose in half off the radiator fit the piece 2 hose clips doesnt leak like the copper wire jammed down the hose like the Davies Craig kit.
woops

Post by woops »

sceneybr wrote:best bit is this new little piece found in auto-barn performance shops its a hose splitter pretty much you cut hose in half off the radiator fit the piece 2 hose clips doesnt leak like the copper wire jammed down the hose like the Davies Craig kit.
I'm guessing that you are referring to something like this. Probably gotta be the easiest way to install a temp gauge sender and the other thing you can do is test how efficient your radiator is with one on the inlet and outlet to the radiator.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/36mm-water-Temp- ... 45f9fd00ec
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

yes thats it couldnt think of the name of it.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

davetrees wrote:Whichever type of sensor arrangement you use, wire in an "over-ride" switch as well, so if the sensor fails you can manually switch the fan on.

I've wired the one in my car so that a small LED pilot light on the dash comes on whenever the fan kicks in - just so you know it's working.

my old man had the thermo on his transit wired straight to the battery, it would run on for like 15 minutes after he shut the engine off... he also had the over-ride switch
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
brendon

Post by brendon »

davetrees wrote:Whichever type of sensor arrangement you use, wire in an "over-ride" switch as well, so if the sensor fails you can manually switch the fan on.
Agrred my rangie has the same set up but a 3 way switch to turn it off for river crossings
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hey

thanks for all the replies

ended up buying a davies craig kit and finished fitting it today wasnt too hard to install and looks/works very well also pul a override switch and light in to tell me when its on/off (davetrees thanks for that idea)
sceneybr

Post by sceneybr »

If you used the copper wire down the radiator hose keep an eye on it it caused my friends hose to eventually crack and split and 100km/h and it did a head straight after unless you did the temperature setting differently should be no problem.
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hey

Thanks for the tip will keep a eye on that one