1.8L Cordia turbo engine?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
psshhhht

1.8L Cordia turbo engine?

Post by psshhhht »

Hi Guys,
I've been looking up power specs on the 2.6L and have been quite surprised at their lack of power (I closer to 100kw in my head for some reason). :?
Anyway, it got me looking at other alternatives. According to redbook.com the 1.8L Cordia turbo makes 110kw and 210nm of torque, so I was thinking that might be a good option. Now I realise the Cordia is fwd, but is there are rwd gearbox that bolts up to them? Perhaps even the standard galant 4 speed?
Cheers,
Jer
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
cheaterparts

Re: 1.8L Cordia turbo engine?

Post by cheaterparts »

psshhhht wrote:Hi Guys,
I've been looking up power specs on the 2.6L and have been quite surprised at their lack of power (I closer to 100kw in my head for some reason). :?
Anyway, it got me looking at other alternatives. According to redbook.com the 1.8L Cordia turbo makes 110kw and 210nm of torque, so I was thinking that might be a good option. Now I realise the Cordia is fwd, but is there are rwd gearbox that bolts up to them? Perhaps even the standard galant 4 speed?
Cheers,
Jer
any narrow box - ie 2Lt sigma box 4/5 speed jap or boag warner
you are of cause looking at std spec engines and one is a turbo

chuck a turbo on the 2.6 and the figures are a bit different
or with some basic mods the 2.6 will have power and torque much the same
and no waiting for boost
cheater
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Starion engine is the one you want or youll have to swap exhaust manifold to Starion one or fab one, or find a 2 litre 4G63, nice and light and shorter (fits in better)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
stealth

Post by stealth »

um a 4g63bt with all the running gear on and intercooler weighs 2kg less
than an astron
so dont kid yourself that there light ,yeah hands down the 63 is THE ENGINE
of choice
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

stealth wrote:um a 4g63bt with all the running gear on and intercooler weighs 2kg less
than an astron
so dont kid yourself that there light ,yeah hands down the 63 is THE ENGINE
of choice
cheers stealth 8-)
Thats interesting !
And IMHO the 63BT is heaps better than the SOHC Starion 63 :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

...... I think its a bit more than 2 kilos and I think we've been down this track before:
*UPDATED*
4G32 is 113 kilos with all accessories
4G54 NON ballance shaft 155Kg (so Im yet to get the heavier weight probably 160 ish)
4G63 DOHC Turbo 138kg, from a reliable source weighed on digital scales so there goes the 2 kilos argument, will try and get SOHC non turbo weights will be less again.

keep looking for 2 and 2.6 Anchortron weights from mits books and 4G62 and 63, then we can do some myth busting. dont post web weights they are crap, post factory weights for NA engines.
Last edited by Torana68 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Torana68 wrote:
someone please post up 2 and 2.6 Anchortron weights from mits books and 4G62 and 63, then we can do some myth busting. dont post web weights they are crap, post factory weights for NA engines.
dont know but I think my 2.6 is lighter than a 4g63 we did the sums a while ago thats if you counted the flywheel/clutch assembly
stealth wrote: so dont kid yourself that there light ,yeah hands down the 63 is THE ENGINE
of choice
cheers stealth 8-)
dont know I would still go for a 2.6 Jer is looking to do autocross and the bottem end torque
would be nicer than waiting for something to happen
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

Yeah cheater, you're right, I want the low down torque, I also want to keep this reasonably tight budget, so as good as the 4g63 is, I'm not likely to go for it... maybe if I get another galant in the future and build it for street I'll go the 63 route though
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
stealth

Post by stealth »

on a buget astron is all the rage
BUT 4g63bt built right will make more torque that astron can dream about
and 3x the hp
evo rally cars ?
and thats with 36mm restricor in (with restrictor thay actually make more torque
less hp) but full spooled up at 1150rpm
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

stealth wrote:on a buget astron is all the rage
BUT 4g63bt built right will make more torque that astron can dream about
and 3x the hp
evo rally cars ?
and thats with 36mm restricor in (with restrictor thay actually make more torque
less hp) but full spooled up at 1150rpm
cheers stealth 8-)
we get to play with 36 mm restrictors in IPRA the rally dudes only get 32 mm

and yes they set up with a lot of boost low in the rev range but run out of revs also
low in the rev range
one of the quickest cars around in our class is from SA that runs a BP18 mazda turboed with no waste gate and a GT2860RS garrett - it stops making power at 6000 with no waste gate
the restrictor takes the fun away at that point

and yes the 2.6 is the budget way to go why do you think I run one
cheater
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah, I may have lined up a 2.6L and manual already (see my transmission thread)... it's got 280K, but I'll give it the once over, and besides, once I've got it set up, I can always rebuild/replace the engine, so i'm happy. $120 for the engine and trans... not bad I think!
$120... might get me the rocker covers off a 63 lol
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

oh well, I got outbid on the galant. so bummed right now. Anyway. The guy who's wrecking the sigma that I mentioned is on ebay if anyone is interested