4g32 differences

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
dnvgalant

4g32 differences

Post by dnvgalant »

hey guys. i have searched forum and the net but can't find an answer to this question. i recently bought a 74 gb galant which has a 1400 badge on it. i looked through the servicing book and noticed that they did an engine change in 2000. so i got under the car and had a look and seen that the engine is a 4g32. so my question is, is there any differences between the ga-gb 4g32compared to the gc-gd?
75wagon
Admin

Re: 4g32 differences

Post by 75wagon »

dnvgalant wrote:is there any differences between the ga-gb 4g32compared to the gc-gd?
The GA came with 1300's and 1500's
The GB and GC came 1ith 1400's and 1600's
The GD came (as far as I know in 1600 only).
The 1600 chain drive motor, in the GB and GC are the same except cams. The 1600 in the GD has an EGR port on the side of the head and is the first of the motors to run pollution gear on it. Pollution controls came in on the 1/1/76.
Just some extra info for you.
LB Lancer Hatches came in both Chain drive and belt drive motors, and 4 and 5 speeds. To my knowledge LB Lancer hatches were sold here from 77 on, so that would mean they would have the same pollution 4G32 head as the GD Galant.
LC Lancer Hatches came with only belt drive motors and 5 speeds.

I think this information is correct, and I'm quite happy to be corrected if it isn't?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi!

I don't know that much about Galants but by having a look at the production dates of those Galants (1972 to 1976 (wikipedia)) I would say that these had the chain driven version of the 4G32. But I don't know from which year your 4g32 engine is so it also could be belt driven.
I don't think that there are much other major differences (as long as the engine is stock of course...)

As far as I know there are a few 4G32 versions:
- with and without balance shafts
- chain driven and belt driven
- single carb and twin carb (different camshafts)
- with (more rare I think) and without turbo

Correct me if I'm wrong guy's: I'm here to learn. :p

Cheers
Sven
colta51

Post by colta51 »

alll this sounds correct but i didnt think LC lancers were all belt drive? but im probbly wrong.. :wut:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

75wagon wrote:
dnvgalant wrote:is there any differences between the ga-gb 4g32compared to the gc-gd?
The GA came with 1300's and 1500's
The GB and GC came 1ith 1400's and 1600's
The GD came (as far as I know in 1600 only).
The 1600 chain drive motor, in the GB and GC are the same except cams. The 1600 in the GD has an EGR port on the side of the head and is the first of the motors to run pollution gear on it. Pollution controls came in on the 1/1/76.
Just some extra info for you.
LB Lancer Hatches came in both Chain drive and belt drive motors, and 4 and 5 speeds. To my knowledge LB Lancer hatches were sold here from 77 on, so that would mean they would have the same pollution 4G32 head as the GD Galant.
LC Lancer Hatches came with only belt drive motors and 5 speeds.

I think this information is correct, and I'm quite happy to be corrected if it isn't?

Dave...

GB's only came with 1400's and 1600's (4g33, and 4g32)
GC's are all 1600's from what ive seen.

my old gb was a 74 and had the 1600

all galants from GA-GD were chain drive, lc lancer came with the belt drive 1600 saturn, so did the GE sigma's
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Thanks for the info guys.
So i'm guessing the only real way i will be able to tell what model the engine is from is by checking what kind of cam it has?
pretty sure there is no pollution gear on it but can't be sure because i'n not that familiar with it.

Cheers Dan
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

has nothing to do with what kind of camshaft mate, under the starter motor on the block will be cast 4g32(1600cc) or 4g33(1400cc). If it has a plastic timing cover then its belt drive.

so what has happened is your GB galant was a 4g33 originally and has had a 4g32 out of a gb,gc,gd galant put in at some stage! :thumpsup:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

astronturbo77 wrote:has nothing to do with what kind of camshaft mate
True, who's to say that the camshaft hasn't been changed anyway?
Or for that matter even the head?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

colta51 wrote:alll this sounds correct but i didnt think LC lancers were all belt drive? but im probbly wrong.. :wut:
I can only talk about Celeste's but apparantly the Celeste is an LB or LC Lancer Hatchback.

We (Europe and also Japan of course) had 3 kinds of Celeste:
- 1ste gen: (round headlights, L-shaped taillights, chrome bumpers) were made from about 1975 to 1976 and had the chain driven 4G32 / 4G52
- 2nd gen: (round headlights, straight taillight, chrome bumpers) were made from about 1977 to 1978 and had as wel as the chain driven as the belt driven 4G32's / 4G52's
- 3rd gen: (square headlights and straight taillight, plastic bumpers) were made from about 1979 to 1981 and had the belt driven 4G32's / 4G52's

Cheers
Sven
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

what i know is the chain and belt drive 4g32 had different valve covers. the belt had lines in the design of the head while the chain was plain with either saturn emboss or none. also the belt drive had a plastic chain cover while the chain had none
davenq

Post by davenq »

this is a cool post ,....answer a lot of my unspoken questions about my '72 G-Banger.....
cheers
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
aussiedave

Post by aussiedave »

My 4g32 is a chain drive non pollution and the cam has a 1 on the end, now is that just the standard cam that it came out with or is it like a stage 1 performance cam?
1970 Colt 1100f SS 4g32
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Standard.
aussiedave

Post by aussiedave »

Cheers Shuggy now im really in need of a cam :@
1970 Colt 1100f SS 4g32
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

I'll add my 2 bob's worth.....

Originally GA/GB had square exhaust port heads and GC/GD had round exhaust ports as did LA/LB Lancer.

Early GC sedan/wagon and probably all GC Hardtops had narrow round port head with no EGR galllery. My very late 4/76 GC Hardtop with original motor is this version. LA Lancers had wide head from mid 1976.

Early turbo versions of 4G32 had a "blow through" carby and later were EFI turbo as fitted to the square look mid 1980s Mirage. These were non balance shaft belt drive and were quite quick. I drove one in NZ when they were new.

Sven, .....Did you get the Celeste in Belguim with the 4G63GS (twin carb) engine?

Roger
Last edited by toruhiwi on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi Roger!

No, we had them with the 4G32 (single carb), 4G52 (single carb) and 4G50GS (twin carb).
On other markets in Europe you could also have the 1.4L (4G33) and the 4G32GS. But in Belgium and the Netherlands we had the ones I mentioned above.

I've upgraded my (tuned) 4G32 to a 4G63GS. This engine comes out of a 1982 Sapporo. You would call them Scorpions I think.

Cheers
Sven
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Sven,
Wish I had a 4G63GS again.....in my Hardtop. These engines were never sold in Australia (or Japan).
Many years ago, I had a '73 GB sedan which I fitted with a local 4G63 from an '85 L300 (this year model was the only one which had the required 9.5:1 compression ratio), imported the manifold/carbs and camshaft from NZ and had custom headers made. With a few carb tweaks and a 5 speed box fitted, 3.89 diff, that GB was clocked at around 200kph. Not bad for what was basically a factory setup which returned 30mpg highway.
I sold that car in the early 90s and now can't find manifold/carbs or cam anywhere.!!!
I did do the same conversion on an LB Lancer shortly after, but his engine had 8.5:1 comp ratio.

Cheers, Roger
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Pitty to hear that you don't have it anymore and that that engine is hard to get over there. But I must say that over here, they are also getting hard to find. Even to get original Mitsu parts for it are getting hard to get :s

The Celeste drives really like a charm now: the engine has a nice power-range :)

I was/am already thinking about changing the head from SOHC to DOHC and changing the carbs by an injection system. The problem there will be space since the master brake cylinder is located on the intake section of the engine (LH-drive). And I also don't know which effect the increase of power has on the drive shaft, diff and rear axle. Need to figure that out first.

I also need to find out how easy it is to get the parts needed for the conversion and most important: if it is allowed to do this modification.

But for the moment I have other priorities like getting the gearbox overhauled (play on bearing and leaking seals) and having my bumpers re-chromed. So the engine has to wait a bit.

Cheers
Sven
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Just on the Saturn exhaust ports - Ive seen both square and round ports on GA/GB. Maybe because any Saturn head will fit any any Saturn motor UNLESS youve got the EGR stuff happening (then you MAY need to match the block to the head). I say 'MAY' because I'm pretty sure I put an EGR head on my 1500 (no 1500s had EGR originally - I think they came out in 4G32 GD). EGR blocks seem to be known as wide-narrow and other Saturn blocks are called narrow-narrrow. Theres a post here on this somewheres....
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I'd agree with Tandanus on that ..... my GB has a roundport head (AFAIK it's original) but it's a pretty late production example (March 74 according to the compliance plate).

The GC was released June (?) 74 here, but earlier elsewhere in the world, so I suspect there quite would likely be a bit of "overlap" (eg. late production GBs being fitted with "GC spec" motors when they were assembled ?)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My '73 GB had a round port 4G32.
Was an original old ladies car I bought in 1994. 70000miles on the clock.
A112H

Post by A112H »

BlueThunder wrote:I was/am already thinking about changing the head from SOHC to DOHC and changing the carbs by an injection system. The problem there will be space since the master brake cylinder is located on the intake section of the engine (LH-drive). And I also don't know which effect the increase of power has on the drive shaft, diff and rear axle. Need to figure that out first.

Cheers
Sven
Hi Sven, if you use a DOHC head from an EVO IV - IX they have the inlet on the right and exhaust on the left. Might suit your left hand drive set up perfectly.
No, we had them with the 4G32 (single carb), 4G52 (single carb) and 4G50GS (twin carb).
I can't find any info on the 4G50GS you mentioned above. Saturns ran from 4G30 (1289cc) to 4G37 (1755cc) and Astrons ran from 4G51 (1850cc) to 4G54 (2555cc).
What size engine was it? Do you have any pics?
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Galant_GT0 wrote: I can't find any info on the 4G50GS you mentioned above. Saturns ran from 4G30 (1289cc) to 4G37 (1755cc) and Astrons ran from 4G51 (1850cc) to 4G54 (2555cc).
What size engine was it? Do you have any pics?
Ow, I'm sorry, made a typo there: should be the 4G52GS which has the twin carb setup. :s

Will see what I will do, maybe I'll just stick with the engine I have now, unmodified.
Thanks for the info anyway! I'll keep it in mind for in case of... :p

Cheers
Sven